Author Topic: Wormy Osage bow finished-laugh if you must!  (Read 11369 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Wormy Osage bow on long string-finally!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »
OK will do.
Lock tite super glue or 2 ton epoxy?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 03:21:45 pm »
Loctite would be my only choice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 03:26:04 pm »
OK,
thanks again!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 02:17:20 pm »
OK, I am wondering if I should cut the hook end off the upper limb.
It looks cool and I want to keep it but the upper limb is 31.5" compared to the lower at 29" and the hook is one half of where there was a bifurcation in the branch so the grain split there into a Y.

Would that be weaker?
Would I be wussin' out if I cut it off and made the limbs the same length?
It would be center shot right down the middle that way as opposed to slightly more left of center now.
I would rather have a well tillered functional bow than a broken or poor functioning bow so I am open to whatever you all think is best before I proceed.

Thanks, Marco DuBois

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 04:28:37 pm »
That is a Good Looking Yeller Stick ya have going...
And an Excellent Thread!
Watching and Learning.   :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline DuBois

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 02:26:03 am »

Here's the long string progress. I keep having to fill little holes with super glue as I rasp off wood so it is slow going :-\

Offline DuBois

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 10:48:43 am »
Probably hard to tell but what do you old timers think? Longer 31"upper limb on left. 29" lower on right.

That is a Good Looking Yeller Stick ya have going...
And an Excellent Thread!
Watching and Learning.   :)

-gus
Hey Gus, thanks! It's good to hear someone likes this thread.
As a new guy I sometimes wonder if my posts are just old stuff people have seen a hundred times and just annoying folks.
I'll be at it again when the cyano dries  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:04:52 am by DuBois »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Wormy Osage bow long string tller?
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 11:03:56 am »
I for one never tire of reading these kind of threads.  Newbies (and old timers as well) working on bows and seeking advise...seems to me the highest purpose for this kind of forum.  Now, asking for advise, ignoring all of it, and making the same mistakes over and over...nah, I enjoy those as well, just on a different level. Good luck with your build.  Looks like a challenge :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Wormy Osage bow long string tller?
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 11:20:47 am »
The left limb looks pretty stiff half way to the tips to me. Use a straight edge and trust the gap it shows you, obviously use your brain around that funky spot near the fade on the left.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

Re: Wormy Osage bow first brace-finally!
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:18 pm »
After filling worm holes and knots with super glue, then rasping off 90% of what I filled $#@** >:(, then filling again along with new worm holes, I have finally goten to this point.

Hows the tiller look to you guys that do character bows often?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:21 pm »
 Take it slow dubois, I'm pulling for you on this. Want to see Doob-Wahhh at full draw. JMHO when I squint my eyes it looks like the knotty area to the fade on both limbs is a little stiff... outer is bending OK. Man that would make me nervous... >:D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:37:44 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 11:35:50 pm »
Just my opinion, take it REAL slow on tillering. On those kinks/or knots you will not end up with a picture perfect bend. You will have a little stiff areas around those kinks. Exercise like crazy between wood removal. To me it appears that you are starting to get a whip tiller (if that is what you want) but I think you will get set in those outer limbs. Pics of it starting to bend would help.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:02 am »
OK, captain lightweight strikes again. Pappy was right. It did seem real heavy right up until it was under weight all of a sudden-kinda deceptive with the reflex ::)
I was a bit whip tillered in the one limb and by the time I got it bending better I was about 25# at 15" and the other limb was still too stiff :'(
Had to flush the fashion and just go for survival. I had been considering piking the end anyway cause there was a lot of bug damage in them and it did make me nervous Don.
It now has equal 28" limbs with a 7.5" handle so it lost 5.5" but seem much more likely to make a good bow now.

Not where I wanted to go but still been a good trip with lessons.
Will post again soon with pics

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 02:41:33 am »
its funny how these projects tend to tell you what they want to be verses you making them what you want.... >:(
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 06:38:57 am »
I agree with Paul that it appears to become pretty whip ended. Stay away from that last 12" of limb length on both limbs! I know you've changed the tiller already since you've taken that pic, but for what is worth it...
Tillering character bows is tricky. We need at least an unbraced, front profile and drawn picture to make any comments on the tiller. But preferably, we need to see it being drawn, as you would on a tiller tree, by making a movie for instance. Just a static picture of a character bow at full draw is useless for judging the tiller.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286