Author Topic: A Big Kinky Osage Follow Along  (Read 29576 times)

blackhawk

A Big Kinky Osage Follow Along
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:16 am »
This will be more of a simple follow along more than a descriptive build along,but if anyone has questions please feel free to ask and I will try to answer them the best I can. I grabbed this outta the shed ,don't know why cus its only 9 months off the stump and I have plenty of good ole seasoned hedge to use...ok youll see why it struck a fancy with me. Its from a 4-5" diameter tree,and it was split in half a few days after I cut it.

Heres what it looked like with the bark on from the front....not so bad  ;)

It has decent enough rings...not big,but 1/16" latewood with thin earlywood

And heres what it looked like from the side  >:D

So I chased a ring on it and laid out the front profile...it was a pain chasing up and over that big deflexed kink as the rings got super duper thin there...prob about 1/64" thin easy as a pass or two with the scraper would remove a ring.

Time to take her to the bandsaw(im a cheater now),and here she is cut out

I then  drew some facet lines along each side to cut a rough side profile out and get rid of all that meat....back to the saw she went,and now all rough cut out to shape and length

I made sure to shellac the back of the bow,if you don't theres about a 98% possibility of it checking on you if you took the same from an outdoor environment to an indoors one,no matter how long its been cut. I might reduce it down to floor tiller this weekend to dry out a lil quicker,and I did all this in a couple hours last night for some Friday night relief  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A Big Kinky Osage Follow Along
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:43:33 am »
I can hear the Carol King blaring from that radio from up here.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:44:08 am »
How long is it right now?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:53:40 am »
pearly shes just over 62" long ...its as long as I could get because from the apex of the kink to that shorter end was only 31"...I thought about going assymetrical to get more lenght,but with this design that's plenty of length for osage to get it too a 27" draw easy. the inner limbs will be really low stressed as you know how R/D designs work and function. I actually had some country rocking from the radio last night ;)

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:06:20 am »
Can you make a bow out of the other half?

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:08:46 am »
Can you make a bow out of the other half?

yes...the other side and split will make a bow too....but it has not spoken my name

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:10:40 am »
Its screaming my name. Ill take it, after its done of course. Then I will owe you another one.

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:13:25 am »
Now that's gonna be fun to watch! Do us proud, man!!

Scott

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:20:01 am »
Whenever I fell a Bodark tree, and find that the rings look like those rings, my body does the hoochie koochie and I can't stop myself. :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 11:22:19 am »
Oh my 'hawk! Can't wait to see this one.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28:21 am »
This is why I bring ol' Chickenhawk a twisty, knotty, wreck of a stave to the classic.  He sees the bow hidden inside and tears into it like a crazed beaver.  :o It's fun to watch in person.   Good luck with this one.  Should be an interesting side profile when its done.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:29:26 am »
"Crazed Beaver",......I think I see a nickname in there Clint?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:28 am »
It might have fit him better before he shaved off his mountain man beard
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:35:00 am »
The beard will reappear, trust me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:20 am »
Kinky is as kinky does!  ;D    ...and Chris, turn up the Carol King, will you.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC