Author Topic: friction fire  (Read 5358 times)

Offline stonearrow

friction fire
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:31 am »
I need tips on making a bow drill work. I havnt been able to make a coal but i cam make alot of smoke

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: friction fire
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:49 am »
Switch up materials for your fire board and spindle.  I like 2 soft woods best. When I hand drill I like cedar board and yucca or groundsel spindle.    I used a cedar board and a groundsel spindle to make about 6-8 fires over a period of weeks.  then all the sudden It just wouldn't coal anymore. I was really conditioned well and couldn't figure out why all the sudden it wouldn't coal anymore.  after several attempts I switched to a yucca spindle and had a huge coal in about 45 seconds.       also make sure the spindle spins PERFECTLY in the board.     what wood combinations are you working with now?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:41:29 am »
yucca is great but
around here it's scarce, I use a straight branch of box elder (dead on the tree but not rotten) makes a great spindle and can get a coal going in a minute
on a dry cedar board.

lotta-smoke-no fire?
it could be the board or spindle is rotten? if so you generate heat but the down pressure of the stick simply pushes aside the rotten fibers
and so it doesn't create the finest dark brown powdered sawdust that you need to catch in the notch.
or:
it could be there is too much pitch in the board or the stick...does it squeak? or give the spindle a shiny black tip ? if so, too much pitch.
or:
it could also be the notch is not UNDERCUT enough and that the spindle twirling the sawdust is just pushing it all away from the hot spot.
i guess there are lots of things that could be the problem but keep trying different things and you'll get it.

Even when it seems to be smoking like crazy keep bowing for another 20 seconds.
when the coal gets to burning , you can easily take your time gather materials get the nest together and it'll be fine just siting there.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »
I have used ash, maple and oak for the spindle and ash,maple,pine,ceder,pawpaw and pine for the hearth board. I can make a large amount of smoke a a fluffy dark brown to black powder but a coal just wont form

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:09:15 pm »
Stone arrow, Ash ,maple and oak are pretty hard material for spindle or hearth board. Try a pc of that pawpaw for both spindle an hearth. You need to use woods that are soft enough you can mark with your fingernail. I have used tulip poplar ,pawpaw, cottonwood, Yucca is excellent, mullen an even used sumac, also horeweed will work. Good Luck  ;DLater Bob

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »
Yup, with Bob...  Those are hardwoods and not much good for fire.  I always use soft woods. yucca, pawpaw, cedar, willow etc.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:05 pm »
when I'm getting soft woods for a spindle and hearth I just make sure that i'm cutting DEAD wood.
any green stuff won't help. If you have pawpaw in your area you might have box elder along the creeks.
i've never tried mullen or summac but again, I'd just make sure its dead and dry.
hard to dry it out if you don't have a fire yet !
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/Smileys/default/smiley.gif
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline CedrikG

• My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:28:35 pm »
In the following link you will find lot of information on bow drill fire. I make a big demo on bow drill for beginners, then Bow drill in the rain, all natural bow drill and finally hand drill. You can just skip the part you do not need to watch. 80% of this video is on friction fire, mostly bow drill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pFJPaCNFAA

Also, some more tips for bow drill in the snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDoS8QKVgMg&list=UU9yW33ZesEUd2ZIlNrj8ZQg&index=3

hope it may help you a little.
Adapt to Mother Nature and she will provide

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:18:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice,i will have to try to gather some softer woods. I am in southern illinois and he woods around me are mostly maple, ash and hickory but i know where a large ceder grove is near me and i have pawpaw behind my house. Cottonwoods might be a little harder to find. It might be a little while before i can though sence we just had a small ice storm and everything is frozen right now. Also would birch be any good to use?

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:30:47 pm »
You can get 5 Bic Lighters for $2.99 at Wallmart and a plastic bag to keep them dry. Why worry about fire boards or drills? :)

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:49:18 pm »
Roy,i like your response. I worry about the hearths and spindles so that when my bic lighters run out of fuel i have something to fall back on.  I make sure to have multiple ways to do almost anything. I do enjoy your sence of humor though  ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:56:07 pm »
Roy you really need to watch the video my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,from the start!  :o :o I was lost in the woods when I was very young. Ya gotta know how to survive!

BTW Cedrik, excellent video. Brovo!

Offline stonearrow

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:52 pm »
It really is a good video. Alot of good advice and i cant wait to once again start the quest for fire

Offline Roy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 10:37:23 am »
I was only funnen. I too have always wanted to learn friction fire starting. Keenan were you really lost, or did mom and dad just drop ya off like a stray cat? LMAO

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:03 am »
LOL, Funny you should say that Roy. On that time I was lost, however there was the time that mom left me in the store and got clear home. Never realizing that I was left. Our neighbor found me in the store and gave me a ride home. The look on moms face was priceless when she opened the door and saw me.  May be that is the root of my abandonment issues.  :o ::)  LOL