Author Topic: Need hot box ideas  (Read 4723 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Need hot box ideas
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 11:54:23 am »
I want to dry this HHB stave I'm working on for my niece.  I think it was cut this summer.  And I'll be using it for the last couple of pieces of hickory in my stash.  I don't think bringing Hickory in the house works.  I've had one under my bed for a year and it gained almost an ounce.  With central heat and air I thought it would have lost weight.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 12:22:26 pm »
I guess it just depends on what you have on hand.  I had the particle board and scrap on hand, so I only put about $5 into that thing.   Before I built the hotbox, I used to stick roughed out bows into the ductwork of the central air system.  Switch it around a couple times and it dries pretty fast.  Airflow is the key, so maybe that is why the hickory under the bed stayed wet.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »
I couldn't do the heat register trick.  I would never be able to get our kitten out of the duct work.  You are probably right about the airflow.  I think that hickory bow will be the first test in what ever I end up using. 

That's a sweet backing on that bow laying on the floor.  Is that Sturgeon?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »
Hey outlaw, with the 4" pipe, just place a old PC fan, everyone has a few, in front of a light fixture screw to a end plug for the pipe. fan screw down in front of bulb and vent a little both ends. Good luck

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:34 pm »
spyder that is a great idea. Would be just the right size/output fan for the job.   8)

Yes sir that is some sturgeon on osage.  I need to post some finished pics of that bow. ::)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso