Author Topic: Red Cat..Massaranduba-bamboo bow...45lbs @ 28"...  (Read 5836 times)

Offline akila

Red Cat..Massaranduba-bamboo bow...45lbs @ 28"...
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:05:39 pm »
Hello guys...this is my new  massaranduba-boo bow...its a  slight, deflex-reflex bow..its 45lbs@ 28"...the handle is made from diferent  wood type...black locust, cornus mas, massaranduba, and walnut...the overlays is  also massaranduba...i will put some pictures from different moments, so u can see the hall process...:)

Here i wass  working on the bamboo backing, with a little help from my  friend Aki..:)...i used that electric planner, and it worked pretty nice...my belt sander is broken, so, i have to manage with whatt i got..:)

Here is the hall setup glued, and clamped ....i dont have pictures with the massaraduba  belly...i started with 1,5cm thick, and taper to aboute 1cm thick arrounde the middle, so it can be a little elastic, to bend it..actualy i  floored tillered the massaranduba  belly a little, to make it bend a little, to be elastic ..

Here is the bow, after removing all the tapes, and the bandage...:)
Now its time for the handle strips..

And the overlays..

And here are the pictures with the finished bow...

Handle picture....

This is why i named this bow...Red Cat...those 2 litle islands looks like 2 eyes...cat eyes..:))...that strip wass cornus mas, and it wass realy nice...half wite and half brown...the efect is realy nice i think...

Some pictures with the tip of the bow...

The bow strung...:)

And finaly...full draw...

This is my second  massaranduba-boo bow...first wass a little shorter, this one is a little longer..its 70" long...i made it this long, becose the handle area is a litle longer...i wanted the fades to be smooth and long, and the handle to be a little longer, thenn usualy...the bow draw realy nice, and i hope  you will enjoy  waching the pictures...:)...thanks for waching...all the best to all of you..

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Red Cat..Massaranduba-bamboo bow...45lbs @ 28"...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:13:35 pm »
Thats some really pretty woodworking you have done there.  First class job from top to bottom.  I like the boo/duba combination, I've made a couple of them.  I still have a piece of figured massaranduba I'm going to use one of these days.

Is that a little patch on the upper limb?  A little splinter pull off the boo node or something?  Or is it decorative?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »
Yess u are right..i forgot to mention this...mmmm, actualy it wass pretty weird...i wass at the stage where i remove the skinn from the bamboo...i do this verry easey, using a knife blade, and the bamboo looks pretty ok to me...and  at some point, i noticed a small splinter, right  on the midle of the bow arm,  to one of the nodes, of the bamboo backing...it wass 2 cm long, and verry narrow, like 3mm or so...and it wass not deep...only 1 mm thick...its realy weird, becose i had the bow pulled to full draw  for many many time, and it didnt hear nothing suspicios....and the bow,  wass holding up, without any wraps on that area.. but i got a little worried, and i put some epoxy over that splinter, and thenn put that wrap on there, and i did the same thing on the other arm, to make it simetric...tonight i pulled the bow again several times to full draw, and it seeam to be ok...i wass realy dissapointed , becose i wanted the bow to be clean, with no wraps on him, but hei..this is it...it must have been someting wrong with the bamboo backing, and that splinter just decidet to pop up...:)..

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:27:05 pm »
That's nice work, that furry 4 legged fella looks to be admiring your work as well..... :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline akila

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »
 :D...yesss indeed...whenn im working, he always comes and lay down behind my back.. he loves to wach me working, and sometimes its such a big noise from my electric tools, just next to his ears, but he dosent care at all...he is just sitting there, with all the dust comming on him...he is realy sweet...i have him for 11 years by now..:)

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:44 pm »
I envy you.  I try to let my dog hang around while I work, but she always wants to eat wood chips.  Oh well.  Maybe when she gets a little older.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:55 pm »
Wicked. Love those nocks!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline danny f

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 06:40:52 am »
thats a great bow,   i love the handle on it im  defo gona try something like that.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 06:57:53 am »
I don't know how you build those but its great looking.

Offline akila

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:07:49 am »
Thks alot...yess, i choose this type of hanfle, made of  wood strips, becose its much easier to follow the line of the handle are, wich is a little deflex....this way  the chance that  the handle will pop off, is verry small, and the visual efect is realy nice...im glad  you like it..:)
PS...Steve...its verry simple...justa cut some thinn strips from diferent type of woods, and glue themm, on to the  handle area, wich wass    first bend in some deflex, whenn the all setup wass glued...the thinn strips , will follow that deflex curve, becose they are pretty elastic...and u work you handle  how u like it to be...its not complicated..:)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:12:28 am by akila »

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
That turned out sweet!! I love those color combos.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline dbb

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 03:25:22 pm »
Good looking bow there! Very elegant lines.
Just a question..I dont see any nodes on the back.Do you sand them down?
If so that might be why it lifted a splinter.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 03:32:59 pm »
Aki looks like a good partner in the shop.  My old girl used to lay on a pile of osage shavings and sleep while I was working on bows.  Sound asleep and deaf as a post, but if I stopped working and walked into the house, she was on my heels by the time I got to the door. 

That's a right nice shooter you got there.  Some day I am going to have to do one of these laminated bows.  I'll bookmark this link for reference material.  Thanks for sharing.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 06:57:50 pm »
Nice!

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 07:05:02 pm »
That is one beautiful bow, from the finish to those great curves... Every
Thing about it says SMOOTH, from its surface to its draw, I love it
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.