Author Topic: Sweetie  (Read 10196 times)

Offline Kegan

Sweetie
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:49:52 pm »
Well, here she is- my Sweetie :). I built her on Saturday, along with some arrows to go with her. Thing is, she's made of elm, and like any good woman, is fickle about how you go about her- so my hand tools were set aside til the very last. I had to use my father's power tools on this one, everything from a belt sander to a saber saw. Sheesh. Oh well, I was suprised that despite all the trouble of working it, and my inexperience with power tools, she needed minimal tillering and met weight after one piking.

Now for the specs. She's elm, 64 1/2" long, 1 1/2" wide tapering to lightened 3/4" tips. She was about an inch thick tapering to about half and inch or so at the tips, and for the true earning of her name, she's a smoothe as silk 75# at 26". She's my first heavy weight hunting bow, and I was suproised at how easily I could manage her (and shooting with Howard Hill's split vision, I can actually shoot with some accuracy). Despite being so heavy, she is easy to draw, probabaly do to the 3" of set she took. he has a slightly rounded belly, not as much as I would have liked to experiment, but enought ot give it a nice feel in hand. She slings a heavy aromatic cedar arrow hard and actually put my sourwood blunt through a board  ;D.Being heavier (physically) she is very stable, and her 64" length is neither cumbersome nor stressed- I'm really, really pleased. I put on several coats of linseed and fuinished her off with a rubbing down of candle wax (it's all I had ;)). The tips have some felt on them to help quiet some of the creaking from the string and the handle is an old t-shirt wrapped on with some thread. She earned the spot right below my sinew-backed hickory on my bow rack- in only three days ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline david w.

Re: Sweetie
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:52:59 pm »
wow nice bow :) it has perfext tiller everything looks good to my knowledge. 75# your a beast ;)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:55:27 pm »
Kegan, The tiller looks spot on. She should cast a heavy arrow well also.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 08:57:09 pm »
Looks good Kegan. is the top limb longer than the bottom or is it just the picture?
One more question what does a 16 year old know about a good woman?  ;) ;D Sorry couldn't resist LOL
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »
Looks good Kegan. is the top limb longer than the bottom or is it just the picture?
One more question what does a 16 year old know about a good woman?  ;) ;D Sorry couldn't resist LOL

;D i wouldnt know any more than you do because im 3 years younger

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 09:22:01 pm »
   Nice looking bow Kegan,and good tiller. 75#,whew!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 09:55:03 pm »
Thanks everyone- I really like this bow :).

Pat- she casts a heavy arrow VERY well.

Dana- Yes, the top limb is longer, so the arrow passes closer to center (little test for accuracy, seemed to hlep)- and very funny;D.

David- I didn't think I was so "beasty" until neither my father, brother, nor uncle could manage it back :).

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:57:36 pm »
i can only pull my brothers 64# compound untill i cant manage it back again i cant imagine what a 75# no letoff bow would be like

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 10:04:07 pm »
i can only pull my brothers 64# compound untill i cant manage it back again i cant imagine what a 75# no letoff bow would be like

i meant i can only pull it back 3or 4 times until i cant do it afain

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 10:21:04 pm »

Luckily Sweetie is nice and smooth. I was bit nervous about not being able to pull it back, but having shot a 60# bow several hundred times a day for months and months seemed to get me ready. I made a similiar jump last year from 40# to 50# and then later to 60#. I'm just suprised I could make a bow of weight that didn't break or have a horribly sluggish cast, a prblem I had previously when switching weights.

Offline david w.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:48 pm »
i am shooting for my mulbery bow to be 50# that will be a 10# jump but i think im ready

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 11:02:35 pm »
Nice looking bow kegan, tiller is nice, and I especially like the nice way you compare her to a good woman of which I am married to one, however after 19 years of marriage I know theres the truthful side to the way I go about her, compare any bow to my wife, I try not to push her past her limit, I take her out even when theres others that might appeal to me, I give her the attention she deserves, and most important, if she snaps make sure you duck before she slaps you in the head, LOL
VB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 05:53:09 am »
Very nice Kegan,man 75 I wished I could pull that. :)Nice tiller also.Good job.
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 09:19:49 am »
Nice job on that bow!  75# - wow that would be a long time ago for me!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

makete

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:54 am »
Nice bow!!!!!!!!! 75 ibs???? Just dont stress yourself like I did, drawing real slowly at a buck 10 yards from me and looking. Tore my shoulder muscle on my drawing arm, now cant pull much more than 55 or so. But got him. ;D