Author Topic: Can I get away without a backing on this one?  (Read 4829 times)

Offline Shiloh

Re: Can I get away without a backing on this one?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 10:20:29 pm »
On the flat, on the soon-to-be back.
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline carpentertimw

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »
what size board is that?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 10:27:39 pm »
If I took a chance on it, I would probably use rawhide.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 10:29:45 pm »
so you guys are telling me that the grain is terrible? i use boards like that all the time! i just finished one up that had grain run offs and its going strong at 50 lbs at 26 inches! its a bit long but no matter.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 10:34:24 pm »
I'm no expert but I just recently made a 50# red oak and it held up without a backing and the grain looked similar.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
what size board is that?

A home depot 1"x2"x6'

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:52 pm »
A board bow can survive with grain run offs.  Lower weight bows survive them better.  The angle of the run-off generally determines how much a problem they are.  The steeper the angle the more likely they are to break.  Also, the different types of wood are more likely to survive growth ring violations (which is what a runoff really is).  Red oak is not a wood that tends to survive with significant grain run offs.

If the board you showed us if flat sawn or plain (not rift sawn) I think you should look at the edge grain.   The run offs on the edge grain are what represent growth ring violations.  However when the back grain moves from one side of the board to the other this generally means you will have grain runoffs on the edge.

The board you showed will have pretty decent run-offs.  It could survive without backing, depending on how "high stress" the design is, but those runoffs are a big liability.  Backing a board bow with runoffs (in my experience), with a low stretch fabric such as linen or silk, can greatly improve its safety.

Id say, keep the bow long (68") and a bit wider than usual, and keep the weight under 50lbs.  But given the option I'd back it with linen.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 11:50:19 pm »
Thanks, I'll err on the side of safety and back it.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 12:12:22 am »
OOPS! One other question; does anyone have experience with recurving/heat-bending board bows? I've got a cousin who's begging me to make her a recurve, doesn't have to be a static recurve or anything to fancy, but she's really into those.

ETA: Whell, turns out it's not going to be my bow after all! Someone just commissioned me to make them a #35 target bow with a linen back. Methinks this board is a good candidate.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:53:43 am by Shiloh »

Offline steve b.

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 03:12:26 am »
Forgive, and correct me (anyone), if this comment is out of line:

I'm a little concerned that there are people giving advice here that shouldn't be, that there are people who are giving advice here that should be and are not being taken seriously.  Also, if you have ever seen a bow explode or seen some of the injuries that result from it you might be a little more concerned with the integrity of the bows you are making, especially bows you are making for others. 

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 04:40:16 am »
as to you two and not quite understanding him, i believe what he means is that by getting the backing to a very fine point with absolutely no rough edges then there shouldn't be any splinters unless the bow wasn't going to be one anyway. As to the shellac i have no clue what hes talking about lol  ;) :D

So lets cut some slac and admit that sandig it fine is helpful, on a grain violation bow....and about shellac.   Have you guys ever tried dry shellac flakes or is all this based on spray can shellac and pre-mixed shellac?  if you mix fresh shellac flakes in alcohol...thick cut, it is like glue. Used as a pore-filling finish on an extremely porous oak board bow, it seems would provide additional backing protection. Heat it up a bit and it plasticizes.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 03:50:21 pm »
Does shellac have tensile strength? Because that is what is required on the back of a bow. Compression or shear strength will be useless on the back of a bow. While shellac might act as a glue, it does not offer tensile strength. According to your theory, a layer of wall paper glue would even function as a bow backing, right? Shellac could be a good finish for a bow, but it does not serve as a functional backing.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »
A board bow can survive with grain run offs.  Lower weight bows survive them better.  The angle of the run-off generally determines how much a problem they are.  The steeper the angle the more likely they are to break.  Also, the different types of wood are more likely to survive growth ring violations (which is what a runoff really is).  Red oak is not a wood that tends to survive with significant grain run offs.

If the board you showed us if flat sawn or plain (not rift sawn) I think you should look at the edge grain.   The run offs on the edge grain are what represent growth ring violations.  However when the back grain moves from one side of the board to the other this generally means you will have grain runoffs on the edge.

The board you showed will have pretty decent run-offs.  It could survive without backing, depending on how "high stress" the design is, but those runoffs are a big liability.  Backing a board bow with runoffs (in my experience), with a low stretch fabric such as linen or silk, can greatly improve its safety.
x2, this was well explained, Bub
Id say, keep the bow long (68") and a bit wider than usual, and keep the weight under 50lbs.  But given the option I'd back it with linen.

Gabe
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 05:23:11 pm »
Shiloh, you can steam or use dry heat but I've had more luck steaming in recurves than dry heat, but if you haven't got a lot of experiancejust flip the tips a little, or you can do a glued on reflexed tip, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 05:37:14 pm »
Why dont you want a backing?
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee