Author Topic: small split at tip of flatbow  (Read 3590 times)

taylormade

small split at tip of flatbow
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:05:04 pm »
Hey ,
  I want to say thanks to  everyone for the bow building help the last couple of years,and have a new novice question.
 I just finished cutting out basic shape and rasping down the belly of a hard maple board bow.It has a walnut riser and will  have walnut tip overlays.
  My question is ,I noticed a 1" hairline split at one tip near centerline and I need to know if I add a silk backing and 2" walnut overlays if the split is ok left alone ,or should I  cut off 1" at each end and shorten  bow .
  Its only 62" now for my 12 year old grandchild.
                                                      Thanks again and please reply,
                                                          Taylormade

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: small split at tip of flatbow
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:13:03 pm »
I've had that happen many a time and solved it with an wooden overlay. Happened on this years hickory hunting bow and I solved it with a wooden overlay. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

brokennock

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 11:20:05 pm »
you could just let a glue such as "Zap-Gap thin" soak in. then glue on a tip overlay so you can cut the string nock into the overlay instead of the board.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:28:03 pm »
You could sinew wrap the nock ,like I did on this one .The sinew here is dyed with dye made from cooked osage shavings.

Ralph

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 11:46:26 pm »
Any one of the options mentioned will work.  I would fill it with super glue even if you add wood over lays.   Depending in the draw length you may be able to shorten it also.

Mark