Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 848578 times)

Offline Poggins

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #765 on: March 24, 2013, 04:59:19 pm »
Helped pack up and clean up after OJAM , the sun finally came out just before we left.
Now back to the every day grind . Danny I have a slightly used red hat , only three days on it and won't need it anymore since they bumped me up to a yellow hat  O:)  ;D.
Mom got plenty of prayers and get wells from the OSS family , thank you all .
Hope to see some new faces next year , seen several new ones this year .
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:10:39 pm by Poggins »

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #766 on: March 25, 2013, 10:22:21 am »
alpinbogen-nice work!!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Poggins

« Reply #767 on: March 25, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »
Pictures pictures pictures :o

Sorry , I took a camera but they kep me hooked up solid .
Anybody wearing a yellow or red hat was in high demand , could barely take a lunch brake without someone wanting your help ( of course that's what we are there for ) so I hope if anyone else on here went to OJAM has pictures if not ill try to get some from other members .

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #768 on: March 25, 2013, 03:47:38 pm »
No pictures but just returned from the Stull Preserve where we had 12 guys making bows.  All 12 walked away the weekend with an osage bow they built themselves.  Many happy faces, good conversations and fun.  Shoulda seen the grin on Weston, the 14-year old who made his first bow.  It reminds me of why we do this.

We were 1 for 18 on the pheasant shoot.  Didn't fair as well as last year.  Need to tune up the aerial skills.  Maybe we'll do a bit better during the 2nd full bow building workshop of 12 students coming up in two weeks. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #769 on: March 25, 2013, 09:08:10 pm »
One day last week I bought a red oak 1x2 three foot long.  I narrowed it to inch and an eighth and tapered it to a bit less than 3/4 at the nocks.  I then backed it with kraft paper using TBIII and set her by to dry.

Today I used a jack plane to taper the belly fromthe grip area to the tips and had her tillered out to 18" in about 15 minutes.  Brought her inside to do a little paint up job.  I should have her ready for pictures and shooting-in tomorrow.  By then I might be able to check the poundage, but I was hoping for about 25 lbs.  The kraft paper might make it a little less likely to pop a splinter and looks a little like rawhide.

This project is part of a set going to a friend that provides props for movies and tv shows.  These bows get broke pretty quick because the extras seem to think it is their job to break, steal, or lose all NA props.  No sense putting any effort into nice bows when they are gonna get treated that badly. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #770 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:55 am »
On Sunday My wife, Dad and a friend went to an auction. Picked up a couple of nice cross cut saws, an ole brace in good condition(Drill) and an old military knife. Missed out on a 12"+ broad axe head though. Damn wall hangers! THey don't really want to USE the stuff they get! Now if I only had some real time to use it!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #771 on: March 28, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
Today I cut a little fire wood.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

« Reply #772 on: March 28, 2013, 04:35:43 pm »
Awesome, Clint..

Offline seabass

« Reply #773 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:59 pm »
nice firewood Clint.looks like good stuff.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #774 on: March 28, 2013, 10:07:25 pm »
It seems like it's been forever since I last tillered a bow, but I finally got a chance to do some work today.  Got this hickory backed osage almost finished, I just have to sand and finish.  This is the first pyramid bow I've made, and the thing practically tillered itself.  I spent more time contouring the handle and tips than I did on the tiller.

The handle has some ipe and spalted maple in it as well, it should look pretty nice once it gets a finish on it.  I'll post some details and glamor shots in the Bow forum once I get it all dressed up :)

Also got a new foster dog, his name is Tucker.  Seems like a pretty cool dude so far.  It shouldn't take long to find him a new home.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:13:48 pm by Cameroo »

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #775 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »
Looks cool up against the wall.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #776 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
BOOM! Shot all afternoon, didn't get as good a turkey pattern as I would have liked, more testing today.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:27:59 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #777 on: March 29, 2013, 01:08:11 pm »
What load you using ?
I find tighter patterns with more shot to powder ratios generally speaking of coarse !
Some time wadding that is too heavy will mess with ya too!
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #778 on: March 29, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »
I got home from work today and checkd the weather forcast.  Dang it is going to be nice today and tomorrow.  A little to nice to go to work.  I grabbed a short nap and then got my day started.  First I called work and told them I wasn't going to be in tonight.  Then I noticed this little guy walking through the back yard.  We have been seeing him quite often the last week or two.  Hey Roy, this is the one I was telling you about a couple of months ago.

Next I started splitting the tree I cut up yesterday.  It only took a few minutes to realize this wasn't an ordinary tree.  Its another one with the wiggle grain.  And this one has good rings.  It took me over an hour just to get this one in half.  It is like splitting an elm tree.  The grain zig zags down the log.

I really need some straight grained stuff so I got my Dad and started scouting for some more trees to cut.  While driving down a trail something caught my eye.  I dove off the utility truck and took off running.  It was a nice shed.  Turns out it is the match to one my little niece found a couple of weeks ago.  He should be a giant next season.

We finally found a nice bunch of second growth to cut.  As I was cutting it I noticed it had a different sound to it and the saw didn't want to cut it.  Once I dropped the tree I found it had some very dark colored rings.  Some of the outer rings are as dark as dried blood.  I've never cut anything this dark before.  We got some nice pieces.

We got those unloaded and I went back to splitting up the first tree.  I got the 2 of the big sections in half and started a good split on the biggest piece.  I'll finish it tomorrow cause that hammer was getting to heavy to swing.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #779 on: March 29, 2013, 09:51:27 pm »
Sweet Clint....save me one of those red ones ;)