Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 919141 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #3240 on: July 29, 2024, 12:33:46 pm »
There will never be an accurate set of test trials by the pharmaceutical community for anything that is readily available and free.

I have watched a bunch of herbalist videos about poke weed, leaves, roots and berries. They all say the parts are beneficial if used properly but like wild mushrooms, you had better research what you are doing before you jump in.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3241 on: July 30, 2024, 04:43:48 am »
thankyou for the info
Phitolacca americana is an invasive species around here and is quite new
It's in rapid expansion tough

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3242 on: September 26, 2024, 11:01:48 am »
I planted my winter greens patch 3 days ago and found this today; amazing. I had the best seed bed ever this year moisture wise and rain right after I planted.

My food plot isn't up yet but is covered up with deer tracks, time to energize the plot, I run a combination of three extension cords from the house to my charger. I use the fence to keep the deer out of the plot until the wheat, oats and rye has time to grow and establish itself, without the fence the deer would eat the small seedlings to the ground as soon as they come up.

I replaced one T post that I ran over with my tractor bucket and broke off while tilling the plot and a bunch of insulators that got brittle and broke. I use recycled fence wire that is spliced in a dozen places where the deer have run through it, usually during the rut.

I finally got everything in order and plugged up my charger, deer beware. I have them all trained from encountering my energized garden fence, when they hear the charger clicking, they know to stay away.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3243 on: September 26, 2024, 12:48:53 pm »
I was curious if they would get trained and then not want to cross where fence was after you turned off the fencer.

I remember we had a pen for freshening heifers that had a spot where we could use a “handy gate” to hold the wire and take it down. It was great for the tractor but the heifers wouldn’t cross it to save their lives. We ended up having to mount a traditional gate that they would pass through.

Of course there was alway the oddball that would figure out the moment you turned off the fence and then knock down the fence.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3244 on: September 27, 2024, 07:39:18 am »
Looking good Eric, finely getting some much needed rain here, maybe to much, calling for 4/5 inches over the next 24 hours, but we did need some for sure. I don't usually put out food plots but wished I had this year, the mass crop is almost 0,would have been a good year for one that's for sure. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3245 on: September 27, 2024, 09:42:53 am »
I can take down the fence in the morning and deer will be in the plot that evening. My neighbor has an electric fence around his garden as well, if it ever gets unplugged the deer will be in it in no time. It is either the clicking of the charger that isn't there or they can sense when the fence wire is dead.

I have heard that pigs won't cross a place where an electric fence has been.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3246 on: September 27, 2024, 09:46:30 am »
Fun foraging today; I saw two trees on the TVA trail Tuesday that were covered up with oyster mushrooms. I had never picked oyster mushrooms before; I had never found them.

I didn't have a bag or bug spray on Tuesday so I went back today and picked two Walmart bags full of them. Of course, I researched them to be sure this is what I found. They have a raw oyster/licorice smell to them, kinda' funky but unmistakable.

Having never eaten them before, I sliced up a few, sautéed them in butter with onion, garlic, fresh ground pepper and salt. Just about the time the onion was done cooking I gave them a splash of dry white muscadine wine. The end result was the best mushrooms I have ever eaten.

I couldn't reach the higher clumps on the first tree, on the second tree about 1/4 mile away I found I could push up on the higher clumps of mushrooms with a long pole, they would come loose easily and fall to the ground.

These mushrooms will go bad in the frig in a few days so I am dehydrating one bag and plan to can the contents of the other bag.