Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 919349 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2445 on: May 02, 2016, 11:15:12 pm »
Nice country Bubby

Nice wood working Patrick.  Looks sturdy.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2446 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:53 am »
Thanks Clint.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2447 on: May 03, 2016, 08:57:14 pm »
Got the pool put up for the wife tonight. Don't really care myself but it's nice to cool off on a hot day!
Yep,  2 hoses, I got good neighbors!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2448 on: May 06, 2016, 07:35:56 pm »
Sometimes when we plant a tree we forget how big said tree is going to be down the road. This is the prettiest tree on my place but it has to go, the roots are in my garden, blueberry patch and invading my muscadine vines. All our straight line winds come out of the west and would put this tree on my shop if things got rough.

Tools of the trade, gotta make it go where I want it to go.

Cabled off;

Just right;

Now for the cleanup, this will take a day or two;

Might as well have the stump ground;

Done with the stump, still a lot of cleanup left;

Just about have a load of tops;

Reduced to firewood, free white oak, come get it.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:33:15 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2449 on: May 07, 2016, 01:34:00 am »
Quite the tutorial Eric, nice work. Did you save any staves? I hear white oak makes quite a bit better bow than red oak.

Patrick

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2450 on: May 07, 2016, 08:37:01 am »
It is actually willow oak but the wood is snow white. the tree had a very clear 6' trunk, I thought about saving it for staves but have so much osage I knew I wouldn't ever make a bow out of the wood, I cut the trunk up and hauled it off.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2451 on: May 07, 2016, 10:58:25 am »
Well that's cool,  I'm the type that would have saved the whole thing with no where to put it.

Patrick

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2452 on: May 10, 2016, 02:40:05 pm »
Well Yesterday.... Drove 2 1/2 hrs. to meet my brand new grandson Carter William. A beautiful baby boy who came to us on Mother's day..
Thanks Leroy 
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2453 on: May 16, 2016, 02:47:03 pm »
Picked up an injured peregrine falcon yesterday.  Got some fluids and electrolytes into her.  she perked up right nicely and proceeded to crap a stream down one leg of my nice jeans.  Apparently, she had not been down on the ground starving for long if she was able to evacuate her cloaca!  So, we thawed some rabbit liver, lungs, hearts, and kidneys and fed her up on those.  They are incredibly easy to digest and are mostly water, anyway. 

She spent the night in a travel crate in my garage where it was nice and quiet.  This morning I thawed the one and only sharptail grouse breast in my freezer and begrudgingly gave it to her.  I then spent a couple hours working the social networks to find a volunteer to drive her halfway across the state to the nearest rehab licensed by the USF&W.  It was totally worth it, this bird is likely to be back in the wild doing her* thing very soon! 

*Or him, who knows.  Sexing one of these birds generally requires a blood test unless you see an egg coming out the backside!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #2454 on: May 16, 2016, 03:15:02 pm »
Salute to you J.W., that's a great thing you did,  8) Fantastic birds.

All the best, Ruddy Darter.

Stringman

« Reply #2455 on: May 17, 2016, 09:10:29 am »
Bar none, my favorite bird.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2456 on: May 17, 2016, 09:14:05 am »
Speaking of birds of prey. I was yakking/catfishing a local stream last week and two adult bald eagles guided me down stream. It was fun. But when I got close to their "private fishing log jam", they screeched at me over and over and over until I pulled up anchor and drifted down stream. Selfish birds, I wasn't going to keep anything, I just wanted to catch a few. I shot them both with a sling shot and paddled on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #2457 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:15 am »
Oh Geeeesch, pot stirrer. >:D

Speaking of sling shots, reminds me of floatin the Buffaloe with my dad and uncle. Back in '96 I took leave from Hood and met everyone in the middle of Arkansas for a 3 day float trip. Food was not requisite, but slingshot ammo was. I remember sleeping on my army cot and fart sack and waking up with frost on my olive drab. Days were filled with a little fishing, a little wrestling, and a lot of sling shot (bean flip) 'ing. Everything was a challenge to us and it didn't matter who flung it, I was in hands and feet.

Slingshots just bring it all back for me...

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2458 on: May 17, 2016, 11:05:31 am »
Back during the war inner tubes were made from real red colored rubber.  Us kids could get the blow outs from the local filling station.  I made every kind of shooter you could think of and hunted with them.  To this day I always have one in my backpack, in my saddle bag, in my truck, and side by side.  Maybe next year at the Classic we can set up a shooting range for them and have a little competition!   Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Stringman

« Reply #2459 on: May 17, 2016, 11:35:38 am »
Now that would be an exciting challenge! I'm sure I'm nowhere near the crack shot I once was, but rabbits and sparrows had more than their fair share of near misses with us barefoot little booger heads runnin around.