Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 849851 times)

Offline JEB

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1635 on: January 16, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »
Pearl Drums, I know. Glad my wife has been a nurse for 40 years and she knew what to do.  And I am just about done with that osage stave I got from you so that is on the back burner for a month or so.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1636 on: January 16, 2014, 02:52:19 pm »
Bring it to Marshall, we can whip it into shape there. At least your a righty and your shooting wont be effected.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1637 on: January 16, 2014, 07:26:12 pm »
Bummer about the thumb JEB   :P
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #1638 on: January 16, 2014, 10:29:31 pm »
That sound painful to say the least.  My brother in law is a fish manger and did something similar right before Christmas.  But his was on a ban saw.  It cut just the pad too.  Sorry to hear that.  His healed surprisingly fast.  Hope your does too.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1639 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:50 pm »
Ouch!  That sucks Jeb.  Table saws scare me.  I hardly ever use mine.  My uncle is down to 7.5 fingers because of table saws.  When he is golfing and somebody misses a short put he says "Where I'm from they cut fingers off for missing a put like that", and then he holds up his hands and shows them his nubs.  It gets a laugh every time.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1640 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:25 pm »
Ouch!  That sucks Jeb.  Table saws scare me.  I hardly ever use mine.  My uncle is down to 7.5 fingers because of table saws.  When he is golfing and somebody misses a short put he says "Where I'm from they cut fingers off for missing a put like that", and then he holds up his hands and shows them his nubs.  It gets a laugh every time.

Your uncle is a funny guy, I like him already.

When I worked at Mt Rushmore the second National Treasure movie had just came out.  One day I was explaining to some folks that there was no "secret lake" behind Mt Rushmore when  man with one arm walks up and interrupts.  He says, "Oh, just give him $50 like I did and he will take you fishing there!  I caught a trout there this morning THIS BIG!" And he proceeds to hold up his one remaining arm.  He looks over the horrified crowd of people that are staring at his pinned up empty sleeve and starts to look sheepish.  He moves the one arm a little to the left and says, "Ok, I exaggerated, it was only this big."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1641 on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:10 am »
I ate lunch at a Bedouin tent in the Negev Desert. Pita Bread cooked on a cast iron, round grill and squirted with goat cheese, olive oil, hot sauce, and spices with Arab cafe.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1642 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:06 pm »
That sure sounds like an interesting meal Mullet.  You didn't say if you liked it or not. 

Well, that free donkey has cost me two days of vacation and over $200.  It turns out him and the pony can't get along enough to share the small barn.  The donkey usually takes control of it and the pony and the stupid goat are left outside.  The wife was worried about them getting to cold or wet.  We are having a pretty cold and snowy winter.  We wanted to build a lean-to off of the side of the barn this spring.  I went ahead and built the roof and leaned it up against the barn for a temporary shelter.  Now they can all have a place to get out of the weather.  When it warms up I'm going to set some posts and build some walls to make a better lean-to.  For right now its enough to make the wife happy which makes my life a lot easier.

I did get a little time in the shop tonight.  I put a bendy handle bow on the caul.  I added a little extra reflex. 

As I was working on the end of the limb there was a loud pop that caused me to jump.  I thought one of my clamps had broke or something.  I looked everything over and found a crack in the handle.  It doesn't look to bad.   I filled it with superglue.  I don't think it will be much of a problem. 

Offline okie64

« Reply #1643 on: January 18, 2014, 10:43:55 pm »
I bet that crack holds up just fine Clint. Looks like u got plenty of nice snakey staves hoarded up, cant wait to see what u make from them.

I went out this morning to gather up some osage for smoking, it really helps the smoker get nice and warm on cold days this time of year. I try to remember where I see blowdowns when Im out hunting. Heres all I could haul back on my four wheeler. Might even be a few short bows in the longer pieces.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1644 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:06 pm »
Be some awful short bows in that pile on the left!  >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline blacktailcody

« Reply #1645 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:54 pm »
I shot my recurve for 2 1/2 hours today!!!!! :o :o :o

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1646 on: January 18, 2014, 11:40:15 pm »
Okie, I see some nice pieces in that pile on the right.  The dead stuff like that makes some good bows.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1647 on: January 19, 2014, 06:21:31 am »
I was going to say the same thing Outlaw ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: What Did You Do Today?(pic added)
« Reply #1648 on: January 19, 2014, 12:22:23 pm »
one of my coworkers started off their day just plain bad! I passed an accident this morning and it was an NPS vehicle! No details yet.

Apparently this guy has only been working a couple of weeks for the NPS. He is a local kid to the park. Going to fast and fell asleep at the wheel! He is physically fine  definitely feeling more than a little sheepish.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:59:23 pm by YosemiteBen »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1649 on: January 20, 2014, 09:24:55 am »
Deer season is over in Tn where I hunt so I pulled my lock-ons yesterday. I took my 22 and made a sweep of part of the property about an hour before dark looking for armadillos. They were everywhere, I killed 5 before I headed home.

Every few years I have to thin the armadillo population on the land because they get so thick you can't hear a thing because they are around you rooting in the leaves at prime deer movement times.  I have never had a deer come by when I had an armadillo around me, they shy away from the noise.

Still a few days of flintlock hunting in Alabama this week then I will store my gear and get ready for this years traditional tournaments.