Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 851311 times)

Offline Poggins

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1500 on: October 10, 2013, 02:42:41 pm »
I think it is ether a pigmy rattler or a velvet tail , hadn't looked it up yet .
My supervisor got a little careid away when dispatching it and lost about three or four inches at the head .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1501 on: October 10, 2013, 03:27:48 pm »
Just glued up a BBO to surprise a friend with, dropping poundage on another BBO for a friend and may finish a third BBO(already on the short string) for another friend who expressed an interest in traditional archery.

JacksonCash

« Reply #1502 on: October 10, 2013, 10:35:38 pm »
Bought some leather and supplies so I can get cracking on my trade item.

Offline campx

« Reply #1503 on: October 16, 2013, 02:57:31 am »
This is what I did today.
Punched my tag on the biggest buck I've ever come across in hunting season, Region 3, BC.
7mm Rem mag, 162 grain Amax @3100

bigbuck 023 by CampX, on Flickr

bigbuck 019 by CampX, on Flickr

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1504 on: October 17, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »
I went back to work!

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #1505 on: October 18, 2013, 03:56:11 am »
Moved horse panels for family, bucked hay, got a job offer on a hay crew, wondered about my next day at my usual job, stared at my string jig wondering why my strings aren't long enough, and spilled half a jar of paint on my shop floor.... its been a strange day
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1506 on: October 18, 2013, 10:07:00 am »
Put a few coats of tru-oil on a longbow I am finishing up for a friend who started it but surgery prevented him from finishing it, started floor tillering a BBO I am making as a surprise gift for another friend, tillered a repaired (broken limb replaced) osage bow for my hunting buddy who has expressed and  interest in taking up traditional archery.

The repaired bow was shooting arrows nock high, a late in the game pass with my gizmo reveled a stiff spot I had overlooked in the lower limb near the tip. Twenty scrapes and the bow shoots like a dream, perfect arrow flight, zero hand shock and hits right where I look. I love these eureka moments when a perplexing tillering problem is solved.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1507 on: October 20, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
Went deer hunting, passed on a doe at 12 yards, didn't need the meat, she had two youngsters, I was 25 feet up a tree, she was down hill and at least 40 ft below me, not the kind of shot I would ordinarily  take, easy to talk myself out of shooting.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1508 on: October 22, 2013, 11:09:55 pm »
The Oklahoma Selfbow Society is doing a member only bow trade and I got in on it , we have till our banquet in Febuary to complete our bows .
There are only fourteen in our first OSS bow trade and we were only given the specs for the bow we need to build , no names , so we won't know who is building our bow or who the bow that we build will go to . I cut an osage out this evening , now to get it to floor tiller and I have a couple of other staves just in case . The osage stave I wanted to use has the dark orange almost red stripes down the back but due to a couple of cracks on one end on the back I set it aside , it also warped when I split the log and I will have to heat and move the ends about two inches to each to get the string to lay center on the handle .
If this goes well I may have to get in on the next bow trade here .

I'm still working on two other bows , the Kentucky coffee bow and the osage bow for my supervisor at work . I'm having trouble getting the string centered on the coffee tree bow , it's off to one side a little buts till on the handle . The osage had one limb reflexed a little and one deflexed about two inches , the tiller was messing withy head a little so I heated a little reflex in both limbs to even it out . I did shoot it before I reflexed it , talk about hand shock , with the handle not shaped yet it had a little sting to it but it hit where I was looking and grouped good but I would have came in under weight befor getting the tiller right .

Still been hunting just haven't taken a shot yet , does with fawns mostly and the one doe without a fawn only cooperates on work nights , I've taken off too much to call in sick to work a deer up , just need her to give me the chance on a Friday or Saturday evening .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1509 on: October 24, 2013, 02:37:51 pm »
Here are the three staves I have cut right now , the top is Kentucky coffee cut to just over two inches wide ( moisture content is still at 20% , explains why my first warped on me ) , the middle is osage with the red stripes all the way down it , going to be about an inch or so wide , it warped to the side on both ends while drying so ill have to get the heat gun and form out for it , the bottom is an osage with ceracter .
I've been cutting as many out as I can before cold weather and rain sets in , I have my bandsaw out in the yard and need to get it back inside befor it gets wet .

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1510 on: October 24, 2013, 02:55:52 pm »
Great deer campX. He had a heck of a body to carry around.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1511 on: October 30, 2013, 10:24:21 am »
Last few days; deer hunted, worked on several bows, finished a nice repaired bow for a friend(broken limb replaced) and started a new rear sight for my English fowler flintlock.

I stopped by the local metal supply house to look through their cutoff bin for a suitable piece to make my rear sight from. I found a 15" piece of heavy 1" angle and bought it for the princely sum of a buck twenty.

This will be a two day filing process  turning the angle into a decorative rear sight but I like tedious work.

Offline Marks

« Reply #1512 on: October 30, 2013, 11:13:25 am »
Cut 2 truckloads of firewood this weekend. 1 for me and 1 for a friend. That should do me for the winter. I have a wood heater in the garage so I only burn on cold nights when I'm out there working. Finished up with a dull saw and broken splitting maul so last night was spent sharpening the chainsaw and re-handling and painting my splitting maul and axe. The axe handle wasn't broke but it was old, cracked and slipping pretty good so I figured while I'm at I might as well replace both. They are both hand me downs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1513 on: October 30, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »
 Well, after 3 weeks of hanging out in Spain I started work finally, yesterday. So far, two days of before day lite till well after dark working. I'm on track for 78 hours by Friday. And will probably be doing this till November 10 when I finally go home. The parties over, now :'( and I'm getting too old for this crap. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1514 on: October 31, 2013, 12:47:35 am »
Hang in there Mullet.  You will be in a tree stand before you know it.  Be careful working those long hours.

Today I went to a new Field and Stream store that just opened near my work.  The grand opening is Friday but they let me in the doors tonight.  I was very impressed.  It is way better than the Cabela's in Louisville KY.  They have replica mounts of about every famous deer I have heard of.  Seeing the James Jordan buck and the Hole in the horn buck was awesome.  Plus the full body mounts of wolves fighting a bear and a full body mount of the archery world record elk just topped it off.  They had a huge selection of hunting stuff.  The prices seemed reasonable.  They were sure cheaper than Cabela's.  I asked to see their traditional archery products.  The guy had to go ask another guy and then both of them finally found a small display tucked in the corner.  They had a couple tabs, a shooting glove, beaver silencers, stringers, some basic quivers, and arm guards.  The guy made sure to show me the one recurve and one longbow that they had for sale.  Their gun selection was impressive.  They actually had ammo in stock.  I picked up a box of 9mm for $14.99.  Its the first time I have seen 9mm rounds for a while.  I think I'll tell the wife to go there when she does her Christmas shopping.

They are having a bunch of hunting and fishing celebrities there this weekend. Si Robertson will be there Sunday.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left