Author Topic: Any advice for Sassafras self bows?  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Any advice for Sassafras self bows?
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:44:02 pm »
My Dad and I recently 'cleaned up' the rise by the house and the reward for me was almost a dozen sassafras staves as well as a few other woods.  :)

They've only been seasoning for a few weeks but I figure I'd get some advice now regarding design and such.

Length varies from about 55" to 67". Most of the staves were about 4-5" across
I'd prefer not to add a backing because its extra work that covers a good looking wood.
But if I have too, I will.

I've never really worked with Sassafrass for bows before so any advice yall have is appreciated.

Thanks!
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

owlbait

Re: Any advice for Sassafras self bows?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:54 pm »
I'm no help but I have several sassafras staves also and could use some suggestions. I have plans for a 72" ELB for one of them. but very flexible to changing to whatever may help make the best use of this wood. Good luck! :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:59 pm »
Mike when I get into the piece you gave me Im going 70" long and 3" wide for a 27", 50# bow. I have no first hand experience, but I havent read anything good about it as bow wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »
I think this is on the extreme end of sassafras but I found this awhile back searching for info on sassafras.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/429015/Re-sassafras-pyramid-bow-that-shold-not-have-been-#.UOccoW_m6Js

owlbait

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:35 pm »
Thanks Chris. I read somewhere that many years ago it was thought to be as good as mulberry for bow wood. I know when we were reducing it sure had some neat veneer quality grain in it. I plan to leave the sapwood on for the first one and then go from there. Nice to be attempting to build bows again.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »
Wide and long, then add more width and length! I still have a few scars from blow ups. Maurice Thompson wrote about this being his favorite wood for his longbow and all the awesome shots he made with sassafras longbows. My bows that held up took set and were in the low 40's for weight. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:00:39 pm »
Wide limbs are definitely the way to go then. I'll probably make some 'meare heath' cousins then depending on what the staves tell me.

That pyramid bow on PP is pretty wickid, don't know as though I'll try a design that bold on my first few bows.  ;)

Rings are probably the biggest of any wood I've ever worked with, which acording too PP, is a good thing. This'll leave very distinct grain lines which make the fades look really pretty when stained.  :D

I've heard the mulberry comparison in the past as well but I'll probably still make my first few bows wider than your average mulberry, probably in the neighborhood of 2" -2 1/2" wide at the fades and most of the limb and tapering to a little under half inch at the tips.

We'll see. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »
Forgot to mention that it is one of the best smelling woods I've worked with ;) post your progress and best of luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 11:58:14 pm »
Sassafras makes a durable fence post, but  that's where any similarity with Osage ends!
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:20 am »
Sassafras makes a durable fence post, but  that's where any similarity with Osage ends!

So if I post a 50", 72# @ 30" unbacked sasafrass bow with 1/2" of set you might not believe my numbers Jim? .....:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36:20 am »
Hey yall, Finished debarking and did a little shaping on this bow. I'm going meare heath for this one and I'll do ELB to the next and compare performance for definitive results. I got a little more info on sassafras in TBB one where they gave some suggested widths for 'the perfect bow' and sassafrass was 2 1/4in wide so that's where it is. The crown is a little higher than I'd prefer but it is what it is. I've also got some sanding to do on the back, the initial wood under the inner bark is dark and the first ring is white so that's why it looks kind of mottled.
I haven't narrowed the tips that much because I've seen some sassafras warp pretty bad before and I want to give myself some leeway.
Its also got about a dozen knots so its got a little character too.  :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:05 am »
It is very aromatic and needs to be wide. I agree with Christian Soldier's dimensions. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:18:59 pm »
there is a guy on paleo planet that makes heavy english war bows from sassafras.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »
there is a guy on paleo planet that makes heavy english war bows from sassafras.

Yeah, this guy. http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/16719

His work is very helpfull. There really hasn't been that much work done with sassafras so his endevors were very usefull.

It does smell pretty great but my sinus infection interferes with that a little.  :(

It works (as in whittles) quite easily. I've got close to a dozen staves of the stuff so I imagine I'll know it properties quite well by the end.  :)

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:05 pm »
The Stave above is coming along well. Limbs just started bending still 2 1/4 inch wide. Fingers crossed, but I'm really hoping she holds together.

I've got a few shorter staves that'll really be pushing the envelope that I'll start soon, definitely gonna back those ones with cloth or something.

I was thinking of making a short ELB, is that possible? Like around 60". I'll back it cause I know it'll be under a lot of stress but I wasn't sure if anything like that has been sucessfully done under normal circumstances.

Thanks. :)