Author Topic: 1st Osage  (Read 3585 times)

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
1st Osage
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:59 am »
I had some time while awaiting another glue-up to dry. So I grabbed the smaller of two splits I got from hedgeapple.
Eddie you said something like (wait till you build a Osage, you want mess with hickory).
Well I don't know, this is the hardest wood I think I have ever mess with. My razor sharp knife will barely shave a piece off this stuff:o
Not sure which ring I should use,  If my arms and hands can stand anymore.
Also There's a black ring under the sap wood is this normal? Anyone use this black ring for the back?
what say you all.

End cuts

Offline JonW

Re: 1st Osage
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:24:22 am »
Go to the second ring down from the black.

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:39:22 am »
That looks like bad Osage, maybe ya just otta send it to me:)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:03:22 am »
What JonW said,looks like a very nice piece of sage to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:54 am »
I agree, the second ring down from the black would be my ring.  And come on now, osage is not that hard to chase down.  Here is 28 staves/billets done in 13 days?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:43:34 am »
Chasing osage rings becomes a fairly easy task after you've done it a few times Spyder and using osage can also become a habit after
you've made a couple bows from it ;). That is some good looking sage there and from seeing some of your past work I'd say your going
to make a fine bow of it. Be sure to post the finished product when done. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:50:53 am »
That is some nice Osage. Come get my draw knife, it will be easier.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:08 am »
I'm curious about the dark rings.  Looks like it is 2 rings deep with very little early growth between.  If it were mine, I would at least consider using that first ring as my back.  I've seen some Osage that the first ring had appeared to have not completely hardened into heart wood.  I would want to check it out at least.  Just a thought.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:50 am »
Good lookin, Graylan!
1’—>1’

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47:08 pm »
Thanks Jon, Roy, and Pappy.
Stringstrecher, thats a good looking pile of sage. chasing the ring is not the problem. Removing this harder than life wood is the problem.
Thanks for the nice complement Greg. I'm sure it's not the last one I play with.  ;)

Eddie, I may have to take you up on that. I have a small draw knife and it worked me hard.   :'( I tried every big knife I have and this is some tough stuff.

Bob, I'm wondering about this black ring as well. would like more input on this ring. It seems very hard as well. I thought I'd chase it and see how it looks the full length. It would be good camo for the back, but I'll most likely snake skin this one.
Thanks Steve
Thanks all, Graylan

Offline Haithabu

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:53:39 pm »
Hey Spyder, I've built 4 Osage bows up to now and 2 of them have sap on with the same black discoloration as your ring. It never became a problem and looks nice indeed.
Fall down seven times, stand up eight.
_

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 03:42:22 pm »
Hey Spyder, I've built 4 Osage bows up to now and 2 of them have sap on with the same black discoloration as your ring. It never became a problem and looks nice indeed.

Thanks haitha, thats good to know. and for your reply.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 05:41:54 pm »
That stave looks pretty good to me. I would take it down to the second ring like everyone said. it looks like you have enough depth in the stave so that should'nt be a problem.
 I generally debark and remove down to the ring or two right below the sapwood, not worrying too much about establsihing a pristine back but a pretty good one and then I seal with shellac and let it cure from there.I have learned is its easier if you don't try to hog off too much at a time. I find that I will get a good rythm working and let the knife do the work ( I call it making it sing).I will often times work from the outside in on a stave so as to use facets to remove the wood which helps me get better strips removed. Its not easy by any means, it is strenouis but once you get the hang of it, it flies and its not AS hard. When I get ready to chase a ring, thats details work and there is less wood to remove at that time  I have also found that my 8" draw knife is easier for me to control than my 12" so I hardly ever use the 12.  You just have to be careful not to gauge and go down too many rings. The main encouragement is also that the more you use the tool the more proficient you will become with it.
  Osage is worth it though I can assure you. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:51:37 pm »
MAN! thats some nice wood! i really wish osage grew in washington...sadly it does not!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »
It's about time you started working on that osage.  I was beginning to think I'd have to come down there and make it into a bow for you.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw