Author Topic: 4" limb set. What effect will it have?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Sidewinder

4" limb set. What effect will it have?
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:04:06 pm »
I posted on the shooting side of the message board that I have a 68" osage 52@28" and I pull 45 @27. Its got a 2 3/4" set on one limb and 4" on the other. I took it to gander mountain and shot it thru their chrono and it averaged 145fps. What if any effect will this have on  performance. Another note is that the weak limb also has about a 1" sidewinder curve and that seems to be where its weaker than the other limb. It seems that it bends closer to the fades than the other limb. I think that I will eventually sinew back it and retiller it once hunting season is over and I can afford to let the sinew cure and can get a little more experience tillering, but in the mean time I just wanted to know what everyone thought about it. 
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: 4" limb set. What effect will it have?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:09:28 pm »
Hard to say with out seeing it. 4" is pretty substantial. Sounds like you might have hinge near the fade. You might just use it for the rest of the season and build another one.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 02:21:55 pm »
I think thats exactly what I will do. I have spotted a pretty straight barked Osage with about a 15" trunk that i thought I might give the Dean Torges treatment to, if I can find someone to go with me and help split out the staves? I been doing lots of readin so at this point I'm what you might call book smart on this stuff but still wet behind the ears when it comes to actual experience. Plus I only have 1 day a week off so between scouting and other things I haven't decided when to take on that project yet.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:28:32 am »
Sounds like a great Idea keep us posted... ;D
Where are you located? there may be someone one the message board near you thats willing to help you get started in exchange for a stave or two. ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:53:51 pm »
Located in Derby Kansas which is a suburb of Wichita. The tree is near Ark City which is just off the Oklahoma border. The tree is on public land but I have written permission to harvest it when I am ready.Would be willing to spilt the stave stash 50/50 and would love the fellowship.