Author Topic: Can i hunt deer with this?  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Velociraptor

Can i hunt deer with this?
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:47 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm new in bow world,and i want to ask you:could i hunt down deer with 35 lbs homemade primitive bow?
I don't wanna hunt anything-that was theoretical question.
I found this video on youtube that looks mostly like mine bow,im not sure what's it draw weight,but since i made short bow from black locust i was lucky to found that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5w20cFMIU

Thank you

Offline darwin

Re: Can i hunt deer with this?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:22:53 pm »
Technically Yes, with perfect shot placement you could. Would I try, No. I don't have enough confidence in my shooting that Id be willing to risk a shot with that low of poundage, nor would I ever recommend a 35 lb bow for deer. In my opinion I'd want at least 45lbs and I use a 55lb bow, others with more experience may have differing opinions.

Just remember all hunters (especially bow hunters) have a responsibility towards the animals they hunt, and a poor shot that would cause a deer to be unrecoverable or worse maimed for life is something that should be avoided at all costs. 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:04:07 pm »
Our state has a 35lb minimum draw weight for deer hunting. 

I watched that video and I think that bow is some heavier - maybe around 50 or more.... I didn't see the specs on it, just sort of judging by the sounds of the shot (twang of string to striking of target).  Not too scientific, I know lol... 

As far as your question, yes, I would say one could kill a deer with a 35lb bow.  That said, I would say that everything would have to be done right, razor sharp point, good shot placement, and a 35lb bow which has excellent cast per pound of draw weight...   Personally, I would want has much weight as I could draw on a cold morning before a warm up, and that I could shoot accurately.  For me, that is high forties to high fifties.  I bet if you took a poll on this site that you would find 90% of these guys hunt with bows between 45lbs and 55lbs of draw weight.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:08:12 pm »
ohio has a 40# minimum.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
Oklahoma has a 40# min. As well. That should tell us something. And a 7/8 min on broad head diam.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 08:41:15 am »
  Use the highest poundage you feel comforable with.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Velociraptor

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:51 am »
Thank you all for your answers,
However what do you think as bit below average 18 year old-what poundage could i draw mostly?

Ps,

How (if i can) can i  change string on my bow,so i can draw more then 35 lb?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »
age is not much of an indicator I would say if 35 feels easy go up 10 pounds, as far as the string goes unless your current string is highly elastic (like a bungee cord) then there is nothing you can do
I like free stuff.

Offline Velociraptor

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:24:48 pm »
age is not much of an indicator I would say if 35 feels easy go up 10 pounds, as far as the string goes unless your current string is highly elastic (like a bungee cord) then there is nothing you can do

On my luck it's not elastic,maybe not elastic at all.
Can you please tell me how can i change it to 40 or 45 lb?

Offline darwin

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:33:11 pm »
my 15 year old brother can shoot a 45 lb bow easily, so age isn't to much of a factor. As for changing the weight of a bow unless you have a wheelie bow (which aren't a main topic of conversation on this forum) you can only go down in weight by removing material on the belly or up in weight by cutting the bow shorter (referred to as piking) both of these have other effects on a bow besides just changing the draw weight.

Offline Velociraptor

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:12 pm »
my 15 year old brother can shoot a 45 lb bow easily, so age isn't to much of a factor. As for changing the weight of a bow unless you have a wheelie bow (which aren't a main topic of conversation on this forum) you can only go down in weight by removing material on the belly or up in weight by cutting the bow shorter (referred to as piking) both of these have other effects on a bow besides just changing the draw weight.

Hmmm... and if i made another bow would i be able to hunt deer(theoretical)with 40 lb?

Offline darwin

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »
depending on your state laws and how confident you were in your arrow placement / efficiency of your bow, id say yes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:49:20 pm »
I gave a kid a 32# hackberry bow with a 24" draw.  His father mounted a broadhead on one of the little 24" 5/16 shafts and shot a small whitetail doe in their yard.  Ten yard shot.  She ran 20 yds and died, both lungs punctured. 

Do I recommend 32# draw weight bows for hunting! <violent expletive deleted> NO! Hunting situations being unpredictable require you to carry a bow that will throw an arrow with enough force that it will send that broadhead good and deep EVERY time.  The guy shooting his kid's bow got lucky, arrow slid between two ribs going in, otherwise that lightweight shaft wouldn't have had the horsepower to get good penetration. 

If all you can pull is 40 lbs, that's fine.  But then limit yourself to smaller deer at close range, and preferably when they are slightly quartering away.  Mentally aim for the deer's offside shoulderThat will allow you to place the arrow a bit further back where the ribs are smaller and still get both lungs.  There hasn't been a deer built yet that lives without lungs.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »
A well designed 40# bow will take deer any day. Still I'd recommend to shoot the heaviest draw weight you are comfortable with so you enter into the 45-50 pound range. I'm sixteen and well built and shoot a 60# bow comfortably, but I prefer to shoot my 48# bow the best.

Jon

Offline Dazv

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
Thank you all for your answers,
However what do you think as bit below average 18 year old-what poundage could i draw mostly?

Ps,

How (if i can) can i  change string on my bow,so i can draw more then 35 lb?

Its down to you I'm 18 and i cant shoot a 70lb bow but i have adult Friends who can't draw a bow that heavy. Try and get to a archery store and draw bows with different draw weights to try and find a good weight for you. Remember you will build up strength pretty fast.