Author Topic: first recurve lifted a splinter on belly.  (Read 8774 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: first recurve lifted a splinter on belly.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 11:54:18 pm »
Thanks, toomany, that is what I thought--thinner wood bends easier for a reason.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:50 pm »
Hey forest, would those be what you would call Nels Grumley style static recurves? I don't see recurves like that often at all, so I am not really sure, but the ones I have seen like that, other than yours, were called nels grumley recurves?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Will H

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 12:22:25 am »
Them look like brush nocks to me! And mighty fine ones at that!! Nicely done forest! You should do a build along sometime and share your secrets with the rest of us.  >:D  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 12:31:12 am »
Like toomanyknots, I reduce the thickness of my tips before recurving.  Actually, I TAPER them, heat 'em with heat gun, and bend them in a jig. Then, I apply thin laminations, increasing the curvature just a touch over the original heat bend.  By tapering the tips, I get more of a bend with less work and less stress on the wood.  The only problem is, you gotta put wood back (i.e., laminations).  I think you can see what I mean in the pictures.

And yep...those are brush nocks, made popular in large part by Nels Grumley.  They're not exactly like his signature (such as Bear Archery's Deerslayer model) but are certainly influenced by his and other bowyers' of the time.  And they really do work...that is, they keep brush from getting stuck between the string and bow.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 12:37:51 am »
And they really do work...that is, they keep brush from getting stuck between the string and bow.

Ohhhh, so thats why they call them that,  ;D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline danny f

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 06:17:17 am »
thanks for all the help and advice everyone,  and 4est those tips look excellent. will have to give them a go one day.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 07:34:56 am »
Diddo what TMK said about rounding your corners before bending.Using dry heat [after a few days]on your recurves to temper them does help to maintain your recurve too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline danny f

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 07:52:48 am »
i have now sanded the splinter out and rounded the edges off.  i think it will be ok now i have started tillering and nothing has cracked again so fingers crossed.

Offline danny f

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 03:43:06 pm »
well i got my heat gun back tonight of a friend so decided to put the recurve back in. i clamped the bow in and heated and slowly started to bend when it was red hot while keeping the heat on it, and it cracked proper,  >:( its gone down one ring deep. so i thought i would file the rough part down and fill with wood glue. and i had some edge grain ash about 1.5 mm thick which was an off cut from another board (i new it would come in handy one day :)) i cut strips of this out and am goin to laminate with probably 3 layers and see how it looks, and then will probably wrap the area afterwards. what do you all think should it work??

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 03:50:38 pm »
Rasp it all away smooth and flat first, then add your underlays and skip the wrapping.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 06:06:32 pm »
would it make any difference strength wise as i have already put the overlays on now and am just waiting for them to dry. i dont mind wrapping as this bow is being backed and i would use the wrapping to keep the backing down too. thanks danny.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 06:15:54 pm »
I cant answer that. I believe it to be stronger replaced with solid lam's of wood. But hey, keep going and we will all know more about repairing tension cracks on statics.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline danny f

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 06:17:40 pm »
so im the guinea pig lol. i will wear a helmet when i shoot it for the first 100 shots.  :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:00 pm »
Hahahaha,  if the little exercise wheel fits..................... For some reason I think of ERC when you mention Guinea pigs. Hmmmmmmmm,   maybe next one ,eh?

Offline danny f

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 01:34:27 pm »
well the other recurve split more than the first i dont know whether the wood gets to dry while heating or if its just to thick to bend. i had to cut away this one and smooth it out and put  in inlays  then build up 3 more layers. they tips now seem very strong  and i think they will hold together fingers crossed. i will probably wrap over the joints just to hide them as they look abit tatty.  i have abit more shaping to do yet and  will reduce them a touch so they aren't as bulky. heres some pics.