Author Topic: first recurve lifted a splinter on belly.  (Read 8776 times)

Offline danny f

first recurve lifted a splinter on belly.
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »
hi there, i have just done my first recurves on an ash board bow. it is 65" TTT  63" NTN AND 2" wide at the fades straight tapered to half inch tips.  and it has lifted a small splinter on the belly where the bend is,  i got the bow tillered to  15" draw before i did this i am aiming for #50-55 at about 25". i was wondering if i can just sand the splinter out or not? will it affect tiller?  i am going to back this bow with silk i think, as there is a little run off in the grain. any advice appreciated thanks danny

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: first recurve lifted a splinter on belly.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:38:44 pm »
You might be able to sand past that and still have enough meat for your target weight.  But if it looks like they are going to pull out, rasp it down flat and laminate a piece of another wood to the belly side. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:43:10 pm »
The leverage at the tip is so low that I think you can take that out with no prob. You can then pretend you did it to reduce tip mass ;)
If you are really worried you can overlay a thin sliver of bood over the belly to beef it up, and then go V narrow (again saying it's a 'feature' to reduce tip mass).
Same thing happened to me on my first Osage with flipped tips >:(, the first tip I did wasn't too clever so it needed a thin belly overlay. I took more care bending the second tip.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 02:52:49 pm »
I made one that did the same thing (Bodark) some years back.  Couldn't sand past it so I did a belly underlay out of Juniper (ERC).  Matched it up on both limbs.  Shoots fine.  Looks to me you can sand past it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline danny f

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:58:03 pm »
cheers for the advice i think i will just try to sand it out rather than over laying.   im hoping it will be ok. i also took more care with the second :). the other thing is they are now out of line so i will have to re heat them and line them back up. >:( you live and learn lol.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 03:26:28 pm »
I'd super glue it and sand it smooth after the glue dries.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:12:47 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline danny f

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »
could i use wood glue or does it have to be super glue?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »
That happens sometimes. If you are careful in your bending, using metal bands to hold the splinters down, steaming or heating the wood adequately, making sure the wood is at a good thickness for bending and is not overly thick, etc, than they usually do not go that deep. At least for me. Although there are some exceptions. For example, I just steam bent 90 degree recurves on 2 different hackberry bows, both bows had splinters lift when bending on the recurves, but both were easily rasped and sanded down. The last recurve I made before that had the same thing happen. But I also recently steam bent some 30 degree or so recurves on a mulberry sappling that was mostly sapwood. The mulberry was thinner, I steamed it longer, and the bend was alot less severe. But both recurves broke on the belly, and the breaks went about half the thickness of the limb. Added to that, the recurves didn't stay. I mean they stayed bent after I took them out of the form the next day, but when floor tillering, they bent back with almost no force at all.   
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »
I'd suer glue it and sand it smooth after the glue dries.

+1
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 08:12:38 pm »
dont look bad to me do what patb said and if it shows when done put a wrap on it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 08:45:40 pm »
I generally apply a belly lamination to all my recurves (which are always static/non-working).  It would solve your problems, alleviate your worries, and look nice, too.  Here's an example:

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline steve b.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:13 pm »
Nice, 4est.  A question then, would it be prudent to figure in a little extra wood during recurving knowing that you will take it off later to get rid of stressed wood there?  Or is it the extra wood that IS there that is causing the extra stress?   Meaning, is it better to take off as much wood as possible before recurving so the splinters don't happen?  Capish?

thanks.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 09:08:59 pm »
Nice, 4est.  A question then, would it be prudent to figure in a little extra wood during recurving knowing that you will take it off later to get rid of stressed wood there?  Or is it the extra wood that IS there that is causing the extra stress?   Meaning, is it better to take off as much wood as possible before recurving so the splinters don't happen?  Capish?

thanks.

It is better to take off as much wood as the possible before recurving, verses leaving extra, especially if you are doing a dramatic recurve. You can leave it a little fatter than final dimension, but overall the results will be better the thinner the limb. Also round the corners of the section to be recurved, this will help a little in preventing a break at a sharp corner.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 10:31:27 pm »
Whoah, 4est, I'd be worried those tips would sting me!  :o Those are cool looking.  :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:48:09 pm »
Just to add to what I said above, I meant it is best to get the limb to be recurved reduced in thickness as much as possible without actually getting it to dimension, not width. Width is always better to leave a bit extra, or more than a bit extra width, so that you can get a good alignment if the limbs bend off to the side for some reason. And I also think that 4est's static recurves are incredible,  ;D.