Author Topic: Pecan as a Bow Wood?  (Read 7247 times)

Offline WDELongbow

Pecan as a Bow Wood?
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:36:13 pm »
I am interested in using pecan as a bow wood.  Any reason that pecan would or would not be a good choice for a bend through the handle, Cherokee style D-bow? Also, any idea where a fellow could find a pecan stave?  I have searched online and came up empty. I have heard that like hickory, with pecan you can scrape off the bark and that is basically your outer surface of the back of bow.  I am a complete newbie, so this would help - not having to chase a ring. Thanks!

Offline Newindian

Re: Pecan as a Bow Wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:13:29 pm »
I haven't used pecan my self, but I have heard of it being similar to hickory. that said it would prefer a flat cross section over a d. I doubt you'll find any body selling pecan staves so you can find a tree. or if you lucky some one will be willing to make a trade
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:17:40 pm »
you should also do a search on this site ,if you haven't all ready, I believe there are several topics on it
I like free stuff.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
Pecan is a great bow wood but don't limit yourself to it if you're having difficulty finding it. Start with something that's available like a red oak board bow. Also I'd choose a longer design for your first since shorter bows aren't as forgiving.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:09:27 pm »
Pecan is a hickory ( close enough that it can cross pollinate and produce a "hiccan"). It makes a great bow and is sometimes sold as a hickory.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline WDELongbow

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:40 pm »
Seems like our local Lowes or Home Depot carries pecan boards.  I may look into that as an option. Thanks for all the info.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »
Pecan is premium bow wood.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:53:53 pm »
Pecan is premium bow wood.

Yep!  I agree.   My first shooter was from a pecan sapling and I have had good luck with several pecan bows since then.  I haven't tried a board bow from pecan, but the staves have worked great for me.  Remove the bark and there is your back.   It is a lot like hickory.   Good luck.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:48:55 pm »
I've built pecan bows, they work great! Treat them like hickory. Save ALL the shavings and cutting scraps. Then kill a deer with your new pecan bow, and smoke the meat from your bow scraps.... AHHHHhhhh the ultimate circle of good medicine there....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:09:25 am »
I've built pecan bows, they work great! Treat them like hickory. Save ALL the shavings and cutting scraps. Then kill a deer with your new pecan bow, and smoke the meat from your bow scraps.... AHHHHhhhh the ultimate circle of good medicine there....

Also true for apple, cherry, mesquite, hickory ect. Lol
Clatskanie, Oregon