Author Topic: No debate ... just sharing my opinion  (Read 12162 times)

Offline _Jon_

Re: No debate ... just sharing my opinion
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 06:10:44 pm »
I love snake skin backed bows  ;) 

Merry Christmas

Same here.  If I had enough I'd do all mine with snake skin backing.  I'm gonna try Sturgeon on my Yew.  :)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Roy

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 11:11:34 pm »
Come on Jon.
I'm a fish lover, all the fish in my aquarium just rolled over:)
Cedrik, are you a vegetarian?

Stringman

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 12:00:39 am »
Hey I'm totally with you.. Shame shame on a person that would skin a dead snakes just to put it on a bow!! SHAME!!  >:(

A most horrid sin.. Not to mention the ethics of it... Shameful behavior  >:(

Cipriano

Umm, maybe this isn't the right place... But do you have anymore, uhh. Never mind, I'll just call ya.

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 12:18:06 am »
Come on Jon.
I'm a fish lover, all the fish in my aquarium just rolled over:)
Cedrik, are you a vegetarian?

Any of them fish in your aquarium neon tetras?  Always wanted a matched set of them to back a bow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 12:27:05 am »
It makes me sad to think of all those snakes dying out there with their skins never used for anything.  What a waste.  That's what I believe and nothing will change my mind.   :'(
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 12:35:22 am »
Patrick you are a sick man.. You need sum serious help >:D But a darn fine craftsman  :laugh:
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 12:38:45 am »
 >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Josh B

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 02:25:17 am »
I must admit, I do think the snake skin thing is a bit overdone and yes I'm  guilty of skinning a few bows here and there.  But that's usually done to cover my atrocious looking sinew jobs.  I most generally save the skins from any snakes I kill, but I don't kill the snakes just for the skin. I kill snakes because they're snakes!  The skins are just a bonus.  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 03:44:50 am »
I've seen pictures of some Cougars that look good enough to eat:)

Me to >:D  >:D  >:D  ;) you scallywag

And to answer your question he said he is a carnivore
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:49:26 am by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline iowabow

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 09:07:23 am »
I must admit, I do think the snake skin thing is a bit overdone and yes I'm  guilty of skinning a few bows here and there.  But that's usually done to cover my atrocious looking sinew jobs.  I most generally save the skins from any snakes I kill, but I don't kill the snakes just for the skin. I kill snakes because they're snakes!  The skins are just a bonus.  Josh

USMC talk!!!! Hey Josh I got that stave from Scott.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline agd68

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:26 am »
I dont agree with killing an animal just for it's skin. I do agree that one can not allow poisonous snakes to go unchecked in areas where they may threaten a fellows kids and animals. I also agree that invasive species need to be culled so they dont totally screw up the natural ecosystem. Ranch raised and road kill , no problem. I would have no problem using any of these skins. What I disaree with is going out into the woods , deset etc and smacking some poor snake on the head just for it's skin.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Stringman

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 10:05:04 am »
Nothing wrong with an opinion, but it's kinda like telling a coroner's joke at a funeral... You should pick ur audience.  ;)

If it were true that this small community of bow builders could wipe out the vast population of snakes across the world by applying them to bow backs, I might seriously consider bow building full time!  >:D In truth, I would argue that this group of people is some of the most conservation minded bunch of guys and gals you will ever run into (yourself included, Cedric.) I enjoy animals and their parts for a lot of different reasons, some parts I eat, some parts I look at.

Merry Christmas!
Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 10:51:45 am »
I found it ironic this morning, after reading this thread, that I went outside and found a little rat snake that evidently didn't anticipate the cold weather that came this weekend.

I love snakes, always have.  However, it bothers me not a bit to kill a snake and put it's skin on a bow.  I would never kill a snake for no reason, but adorning/sealing/camo-ing a bow is a reason.  For the same reason it bothers me not at all to kill a coyote for its hide, or trap a beaver.  Using the skin/hide is a valid reason to take an animal in my book.  I have often let rat and bull snakes go when I could have killed them because I'd rather have them eating rodents, but if one shows up as I'm finishing a bow it won't go well for it.  And to be honest, normally the neighbors kill enough snakes because of their phobia's and I find enough road kill that I usually don't need to kill very many.  Unfortunately, if my wife finds out I let one live around the house it doesn't go very well for me.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 11:42:39 am »
   Never lost any sleep for killing a snake for any reason. I use them on my bows for camo and beauty. For the meat...well the buzzards and coyotes gotta eat too. Just sharing my opinion of coarse.

Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:06 am »
Like my youngest son once said after I found a dying timber rattler on the road, "I like rattle snake meat."  I've still got the skin and the bones too. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)