Author Topic: Hickory Bow  (Read 1423 times)

Offline daj7622

Hickory Bow
« on: December 25, 2012, 03:35:53 am »
Hi everyone. I'm new to this website and also very new to now making. I'm hopeful to one day be a bow making artist! I'm currently working on my first bow. It's a hickory bow, and I have several questions.

Q1: currently the back to my bow is a darker wood than the rest of the bow. Should I go ahead and move down to the next, lighter colored growth ring so the bow is one solid color of wood, or will it work with this darker, grainier wood as the backing?

Q2: what do most people use to seal their bows once they are finished so that it does not crack or break easily?

Q2: with a hickory bow, what should I use as bowstring??

I'm very new and excited to learn from all of you who have done this before! Thanks!

Offline Weylin

Re: Hickory Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 03:58:06 am »
Hey there and welcome to PA.

A1: Are you working with a split stave or a board? If it is a stave the back of the bow should be the first layer of sapwood directly under the bark and cambium. You should do your darndest to not violate that first growth ring. If it is a board then you still shouldn't cut into the back. In the case of a board you wont have a continuous growth ring for a back, you will get your bows integrity from having straight grain going from one end of the board to the other with as few run-offs as possible.

A2: There are many different sealers that will protect your bow from dirt and water. everything from beeswax to lacquer. I use Tru-oil gunstock finish. your finish wont do anything to keep your bow from cracking or breaking, it will just protect it from water.

A3: I highly recommend getting some sort of proper string material made for bows. The less expensive option is Dacron B-50 the slightly more expensive option is Fastflight. I use Fastflight, I think it is worth the difference. You can get either of them online easily or possibly at your local archery store.

Making bows is a blast, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Be patient, be humble, ask lots of questions and do some research. I think the best think to do is find someone in your area that can show you the ropes in addition to asking questions on here. Some hands on guidance is worth quite a few broken bows, in my opinion. Good luck.

blackhawk

Re: Hickory Bow
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:13:04 am »
Without seeing  any Pics of your stave I'm guessing the dark wood isn't wood at all and is the cambium under the bark that you haven't removed yet..you'll have to carefully scrape it off if that's the case. Got any pics? That'll solve your problem.

I use tru oil for a finish/sealer...but a finish isn't gonna protect a bow from breaking

Just get some b-50 Dacron for strings for right now