Author Topic: A different type of "Molly"  (Read 11988 times)

Offline Arrowind

Re: A different type of "Molly"
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 07:38:24 pm »
NICE.  BOW!  Looks Awesome!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »
Cool  :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 11:38:40 pm »
Beautiful. I don't see nothing that could possibly be criticized. Nice!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 03:38:26 am »
That is sweeeeeet :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline warpath

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 09:29:47 am »
Thanks guys.

Ryoon- Someone on here had made a Molly from a paddle bow that was much wider than this so I felt that 2" would be fine and it was. As far as the tips being beefed up, I did this because of the thickness as opposed to the width. Probably should've done overlays instead but it's not hurting this bow's performance in any way. They're much thinner than they look in the pictures. Barely 1/8" on each side and hardly any weight.

G

Offline RyanY

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 09:36:12 am »
The problem with width near mid limb is that its very difficult to get that area bending like it should for as wide as many people make it. In your bow there's essentially almost no bend for a few inches past mid limb before the transition to stiff tips. I'd say 90% of molly designs I see are overbuilt in that area and while many people may only consider mass near the tips, I think mass at mid limb is important to consider as well. True that they are thin but mass is mass. To say it doesn't effect performance in any way is not true. May still be a great performer but you could squeeze out that 0.5fps without them.  ;) Still a beautiful bow man. I'm just too picky.  :P

Offline warpath

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 10:06:12 am »
Ryoon-  I completely understand. You had mentioned before about how the levers should have some bend in them. I thought that also but almost every one that I've seen has very stiff levers. Why is that? Is it a misunderstanding of the design? Or is it because people are just trying to be safe like I was? I didn't like how  this bow was stiff near the levers, but I admit that I wasn't sure what to do about it. Probably shouldn't have built the levers up as much as I did. Possibly could've made it pull to 30" safely in that case, however it was more the look I was going for that dictated the end result. Please respond to this becuase I think that you make some really good points and I can use all the tips I can get since I've only made 4 of these in my 25 yrs of making bows and always followed this formula. Thank you in advance.

G

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 10:37:24 am »
Very cool bow. I like what you did with it. I have'nt made a molly yet but I do recognize the tiller as most of mine are stiff in the outer limbs and get most of their bend in the inner 1/2. They shoot pretty fast so I bet this one does too.  Good job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 10:41:10 am »
Could your levers lose some mass? Yes...but are they overbuilt affecting a "noticeable" difference...No. so Id say your fine...you built the bow to "your" specs and intentions,and not what someone else may think it should be. I think those small side overlays are cool and unique and dont think they affect anything to worry about. Id rather shoot a bow that's a couple fps slower that I shoot lights out accurately than the faster bow that I can't hit $&@+ with. I've made countless types of lever bows with slightly bending levers n stiff levers and I really can't physically see a difference..but that's maybe because I make my levers teeny tiny either way..anyways..just my two cents...not that my opinion matters

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 10:41:44 am »
Very nice bow! Merry Christmas! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 01:27:10 pm »
Very interesting design!!!

I love it when folks  draw outside the lines  ;)

I like it!!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 01:37:58 pm »
Awesome looking bow

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 01:53:56 pm »
It can honestly be pretty hard to pull off levers this narrow for their full length, unless you are working with a board bow, and even then you gotta have a perfect layout. On a stave bow from a less than perfect stave, where alignment can be in anyway questionable, you could easily lose lateral stability with levers this thin. Nice job.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline RyanY

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »
I think more often than not people think that if the levers are stiff then that's all that's necessary for this design. Without seeing a slight bend there is no way of knowing they are reduced as much as possible for optimization, at least in thickness, and often times peoples tips are grossly thick and not narrow enough to take advantage of this design. What's awesome about your bow is that it's 3/8" wide for the whole length of the levers which is fantastic! Not to mention how beautiful the color combination is. This bow is an excellent example of a Molly and just a few nitpicky things would make it even better in my opinion. Save these criticisms for the next bow. I'll be excited to see it.

Offline warpath

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 03:24:22 pm »
Ryoon- one of the things that I forgot to mention is that the bloodwood and osage laminations on the levers are tapered. They go from 1/32" at the tips to 1/8" where they start on the levers/limbs. I don't know if this helped the design or not but I think that I'l  be using this formula again if I laminate the belly sides of the levers.

G