Author Topic: A different type of "Molly"  (Read 11989 times)

Offline warpath

A different type of "Molly"
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:03:47 pm »
Hello everybody! Haven't posted in awhile so here's a "Molly" I just recently finished. Please criticize the heck out of it since I haven't made one in awhile.

This bow is 66" overall, 64" NTN, and 61" when strung. She is made of Pignut Hickory backed with Bamboo. The belly side of the levers are reinforced with Bloodwood and Osage along with the handle. She's 2" wide at the fades and along the length of the bending limbs. The levers are 3/8" wide and 14" in length. The nocks have been reinforced with Osage that has been glued and pinned to assure that they don't slip. Handle has been wrapped in black cowhide and artificial sinew in a shelfless design. This bow pulls 45# @ 26". The Mrs. thinks that this bow looks like a Gharial Crocodile so I've named this bow "The Gharial" Without any further delay, here she is:

Offline warpath

Re: A different type of "Molly"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:05:05 pm »
More pics

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »
thats a good looking bow!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »
Good job !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 04:27:10 pm »
Looks great! That's a really nice bow. 8)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 04:36:03 pm »
I am digging the Gharial!   8) Sweet tiller too.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »
Wow, that one looks real sharp. Those levers are real narrow. Since you asked for criticism, I would have maybe tried to keep them narrow on the tip and make overlays. But really, I just made this up cause you asked. Actually, I think it is a real nice molly and looks damn hot.
Don't shoot!

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 05:08:09 pm »
That is a damned fine bow right there. Aint but one thing wrong, and that's the fact it aint hidin on my bow rack >:D.
rich

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »
Well, If I were to really knit pick the tiller, and this is going to the point of insane, the top limb bends more out of the fades, and the bottom limb is more of an even round bend. But only a touch. Other than that, the wrong person is holding the bow and should be sent to me directly to remedy that problem!  ;D
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline warpath

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 05:22:37 pm »
I want to put googley eyes on it!!  >:D Thanks guys. Maybe I'll sell or trade it in the near future, but for now, I'm going to shoot it for a bit. Maybe make some meat with it next month!  ;)

G

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »
How does it shoot with those heavy tips? I think you coulda done much narrower with them! (Jking, i wouldn't dare make mine that tiny!!)
I bet that thing outperforms its weight by a long shot!!!! Niceeeee job!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline warpath

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »
Zion- It shoots pretty fast despite the extra weight on the tips. Only able to do 40yds shot lately. Hoping to get out to the outdoor range around here to see how it performs at 125yds. I'll let you know how it does at that distance when I'm able to get there.

G

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »
Sweet bow all around there, very unique and quite striking in appearance. Thanks for posting.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline warpath

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 05:35:34 pm »
Sleek-  You're right. It does bend a little more out of the fade on the top limb. That's because there was a knot towards the lever on the top limb and I was trying to avoid overstressing that area. Basically I was trying to take a piece of hickory that would not have made a good bow at all and make it work. Only got a few shots through it now, (maybe 100 or so.) Need to shoot it more before i decide to do anything with it as far as trade or selling it goes.

G

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 06:49:24 pm »
Gorgeous bow. I think 2" is a little too wide at mid limb for as little bending that goes on there in this design. Also Molly levers need to bend ever so slightly but they don't like too deep. 3/8" along the length of the levers is awesome! But I use side nocks with 3/8" tips and never have problems with slipping so I think the osage on there is just dead weight where it counts most. I still think you did an excellent job with this one. Thanks for sharing!