Author Topic: cherokee bow design?  (Read 13209 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

cherokee bow design?
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:15:35 am »
Anyone know what bow design the cherokee used? I have been getting into my native american heritage as my great grandmother was full blooded and i never really got to learn about my heritage from her as she passed when i was about 6 yrs old.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: cherokee bow design?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:22:24 am »
Maybe Half Eye will chime in. He knows a lot about the indian bows.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 10:57:00 am »
Most of the cherokees made simple bend through the handle flatbows from black locust when they were still in the east. After they were forced to Oklahoma they made their bows from osage orange. Their bows ranged anywhere from 40-70 inches so take your pick. Theres a great book called encyclopedia of native american bows, arrows and quivers by Jim Hamm with lots of the different designs in it. Are you in Oklahoma?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:09:41 am »
A lot of them from what i've seen were pretty short. Around 55 inches long i think i read was the average for most eastern woodland tribes. But we must remember they weren't very tall people. Maybe their average height was around 5'5 or something(i guess). Their arms were shorter and they used a floating anchor, drawing instinctively. I am 5'10 and have longer arms as most of us do now and we draw using a mediterranean release typically so our drawlengths are a bit longer. Some people do it with ease but i dont like getting 28 inches out of a 55 inch peice of wood when i can do it more easily out of a 60 inch peice.

Bye.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »
No I actually live in Virginia now and I have access to large amounts of BL but not osage.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »
Mc,
     here is some items I found from the American Museum of Natural History....most of the items were collected 1909, from the eastern Cherokee, in North Carolina. they do not list the length od the bow, so for what it's worth the arrow is 30.43 inches long and made of wood. the blowgun is 93.5 inches long and made of cane. Dont know how the photo will show up on here but in the bow pic there is also a nice example of Cherokee quiver......if they wont post please send your email by PM and I'll email you a direct link.....aint smart enough to get it on these posts or PM's for that matter. hope it helps ya out some
rich

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 02:34:05 pm »
TBB#2 has info. Their bows bend in the handle. Their war bows approached 6 ft. Their hunting bows were just over 5'. Handles were not narrowed. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »
TBB#2 has info. Their bows bend in the handle. Their war bows approached 6 ft. Their hunting bows were just over 5'. Handles were not narrowed. Jawge

Also, they were rectangular in cross senction.  In some cases they were even radically decrowned.  I think the one that comes to mind was in Allely & Hamm's "Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »
Short, (55"-67") flat longbows with bend in the handle and heavy tips. Some of them had a smal reflex in the tips. I,ve made two of them. These bows give you a little bit of handschock. Read "encyclopedia of native american bows and arrows " and "bowyers bible 2" :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »
Like George said, TBBII has a good drawing of a Cherokee hunting bow and a Cherokee war bow. Hunting bow is 61 3/4", 1 3/8"x9/16" at the handle and 7/8"x5/16" at the tips. The war bow is 72 1/4" long and 1 9/16"x5/8" and the tips are 1 1/16"x7/16".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 07:44:46 pm »
No I actually live in Virginia now and I have access to large amounts of BL but not osage.

Staunton?  Plenty of osage in our area.   I'm up in Mt. Jackson, I can getcha  a stave. i can occasionally be found at Jack Brown's in H-Burg    ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 09:24:22 pm »

Staunton?  Plenty of osage in our area.   I'm up in Mt. Jackson, I can getcha  a stave. i can occasionally be found at Jack Brown's in H-Burg    ;)
yea i live in staunton. i didnt know that there were anyone else around my area building bows. Hmmm i have seen a whole lot then again the only thing i know to look for is the fruit.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 10:41:47 am »
Wheres Jack Browns at? Im not too familiar with H-Burg as i usually just go there with my wife to the mall but she knows alot of H-Burg but she hasnt heard of Jack Browns.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »
Heres some pics of an old Cherokee made bow.Its the first few pics.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/50038/Some-of-Gary-s-Bows-and-Arrows

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 04:06:17 pm »
Wheres Jack Browns at? Im not too familiar with H-Burg as i usually just go there with my wife to the mall but she knows alot of H-Burg but she hasnt heard of Jack Browns.

About 2 blocks south of court square on rt. 11. Across fro dave' s taverna greek place. Haven't been building a lot, wouldn't mind hooking a local soldier up with a stave. Least I can do!   ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA