Author Topic: I thought you guys might want to see this..  (Read 3832 times)

Offline AH

I thought you guys might want to see this..
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:22:51 pm »
I ran across this stave while looking around on the web, and I though it would be a shame if it were ignored.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yew-Bow-Stave-80-x-3-x-3-235-10-/290834197688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b711acb8
i can't believe it. $45 for a good yew stave. I would of bought it but I already have some yew.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: I thought you guys might want to see this..
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:26:51 pm »
Loads of pics all showing the bark. You need an edge view to show the heart/sap boundary and an end view.
Also need something in the pic to show scale.
It strikes me that who ever did the pics doesn't have much idea, so I'd tread with great caution.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline AH

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:32:49 pm »
Loads of pics all showing the bark. You need an edge view to show the heart/sap boundary and an end view.
Also need something in the pic to show scale.
It strikes me that who ever did the pics doesn't have much idea, so I'd tread with great caution.
Del
I thought so too, but apparently this guy has quite a reputation for selling staves. But I do think that you wouldn't want to sell a good yew stave for just $45. maybe its not a very good stave, the description certainly is sketchy.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »
He has no idea how to season so expect to receive a sponge. But I would say for the most part he is okay.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »
Shipping seems to be a bit much. Although not that much for the length. I have shipped big 75" osage staves all over the us, and it has usually cost around 35 bucks or so for the long heavy ones. Shipping is probably fair if he is using priority or fedex. If I had 90 bucks to spare I would snatch it up, just because I have never worked yew. If yall are looking for yew, sailordad has 3 yew staves for sale over on paleoplanets trade blanket.

EDIT: Most of his other yew staves are around 150 a stave. I guess I would shy away too, just because there is probably a reason for that,  ;D.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:24:00 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:58:29 am »
i looked at this stave, and the reason it is 45, is it has a huge knot mid limb i think, its in one of the pictures, but i have gotten a stave from hm before, and while it wasnt seasoned that good it was still good yew, and had higher density than advertised
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:41:20 am »
That's Dave Robertson of Medicine Bow Wood. That's one of his 'economy' yew staves. Full of knots, low density. He does sell high quality yew for up to $250 per stave. I have purchased yew from him, and you get what you pay for. His shipping is a bit over the top, however.