Author Topic: First Bow Post (pics added)  (Read 1614 times)

Offline vyadha

First Bow Post (pics added)
« on: December 22, 2012, 12:40:28 am »
Hi all
This is my time posting a bow here. Ive made about 30 in the past few years and am finally starting to figure some things out, I think.
Its a HBI, 68" tip to tip, 43@28. I put in 2 inches of reflex and after about 500 shots it keeping just about an inch.
The tiller looks peculiar to me, this being my first d/r bow. Theres is a small amount of deflex in there as well. It looks to me like its not bending enough out of the fades. It shoots great though so Im not messing with it anymore.  Its a gift for my Uncle who was complaining about his glass bow that has the shelf too low. So i made this one with the shelf kinda high.

Let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:59:06 am by vyadha »

Offline Weylin

Re: First Bow Post
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:43:58 am »
do you have any pictures? We'd love to see it.  :)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: First Bow Post
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:49:29 am »
Sounds like a bow to me. Would love to see pics!!!!!!  :)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline vyadha

Re: First Bow Post (pics added)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:02:54 am »
Of course I forgot to post pics. Nothing strange about that though, today I started chasing a ring on a BL stave and after a few minutes I asked myself "Why am I working on the belly?"
Its the spiked egg nog.

Offline Zion

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 01:14:04 am »
Looks you put some effort into this. Good thing, it's always nice to have your first bow last a while. Looks great!

I hate it when i air-head the back for belly on a bow   >:( >:(

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:24 am »
Nice work! That's a nice color contrast between the woods. I'm sure your uncle loves it.

Offline vyadha

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 03:34:33 pm »
Thanks! So I take the tiller is ok?

Offline Zion

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
The tiller looks fine to me. Of course it could be better, (its hard to create a perfect tiller.) But it's totally good enough to survive for awhile and shoot well. In the future, take just a hair more wood off the outer 3rd and the inner 3rd of the limb. Midlimb looks like its taking a little more of the strain. Overall its a really nice bow. I wouldn't change much now.  8)

Offline vyadha

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 05:13:28 pm »
Thanks Zion
With the d/r Ive read that the midlimb ends up doing a lot of work, I probably took that notion a bit far.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 05:38:58 pm »
Since you are asking about your tiller I would agree with Zion that the outer limbs seem a bit too stiff even with the reflex that the bow has. Stiff outer limbs are often desirable but you just need to make sure that the rest of the limb is designed to do all the work. If you're happy with how it shoots then I say don't worry about it on this bow and keep it in mind for your next one. There definitely is a point to leave well enough alone. With that small amount of generalized reflex the full draw tiller really shouldn't look that much different from a straight bow. It will just have a slightly higher early draw weight.