Author Topic: Where to Find Wood  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Josh Wilson

Where to Find Wood
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:28 pm »
What lumber yards are y'all going to to find wood? I can't find anyone that carries ash or other hard woods (besides oak). Any ideas on where to get good boards?

blackhawk

Re: Where to Find Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:54:41 pm »
On trees  ;)....find some of those things and you'll find wood

Where do u live?

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:12:19 pm »
What lumber yards are y'all going to to find wood? I can't find anyone that carries ash or other hard woods (besides oak). Any ideas on where to get good boards?

Have got some wood from relatives, friends who ever. Put an ad online stating what type of wood you are looking for. Should get a few replys. So far I have got 95% of my wood free. It's out thar for the taking. These are some of the woods I got for FREE..!!!
~Oak red & white
~Yew
~Maple
~Ocean Spray
~Douglas Fir
~Poplar
~Alder
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »
Charleston WV

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »
Screw them boards man..your in the eastern woodlands,which is land of many trees....go find n cut some saplings and small trees and reduce em down to near bow dimension and quick dry them..you can have something semi dry enough to bend on in a week if ya want. Go look for hickory,elm,oaks,all those grow plenty in your area and will be easy to find clean n straight. Also you have hophornbeam,sugar maple,white ash,etc...a plethora of free wood surrounds you.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:28 pm »
Wood, unlike money, does happen to grow on tress!!! ::) :o ;D

OneBow

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:29:01 pm »
how do you "quick dry"?

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:44:06 pm »
Staves are a good thing, but boards are good for doing laminates. Qucik dry..? Kiln Dry.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 09:10:50 pm »
Like blackhawk said, reduce a sapling until it starts to look like a bow.  Keep it indoors and and it should dry pretty fast.  If you have a good windy day, leave it outside just a blowing in the breeze, and it will dry surprisingly fast.  You might want to strap it down to a 2x4 or other to keep it from twisting badly. 

how do you "quick dry"?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:02 pm »
Although I like most bows, saplings are my favorite....and I woould assume they were the favorite of ancient man as well.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 12:04:25 am »
I didn't know you had something against boards, blackhawk. They never did anything to you, did they? ???
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 08:29:46 am »
I didn't know you had something against boards, blackhawk. They never did anything to you, did they? ???

Simply said: A stave is better than a board ....when first learning always use the best wood available to you. A hickory,elm,or white oak sapling or small tree will tolerate a novices hands better than a board.

Do some more research on how to quick dry..there are many ways...ill take em down to bending about 5" on the floor and no more after i cut it,and I've sealed and shoved them in heating ducts at my house until they stop losing weight. Or set it above a wood stove( might take a like longer) until it stops losing weight. Or use a hot box(research it),n lots of ways to make them.

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 09:14:51 am »
The best bet is find some of that yeller wood and dry it down lol.
Old timber bows

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:04 am »
The best bet is find some of that yeller wood and dry it down lol.

Good luck finding it in west Virginia bro...lol. its scarce at best...there's some up around morgantown,and prob some up along the border of Ohio along the Ohio river valley,as there's quite a bit of it right across the border in Ohio along the Ohio river valley.

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
We could find it at your house bro lol blackhawk
Old timber bows