Author Topic: elm bow- never again  (Read 19799 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
elm bow- never again
« on: October 09, 2007, 11:06:17 pm »
Hi folks,   Here's a bow that I think came out OK.  It's not a real fast bow, but it shoots a heavy arrow with authority.  However I just about threw it out each step of the way though.   I collected the stave for this bowduring trip to my inlaw's ranch.
First I cut the tree down on a cool spring day.  It was an american elm ~ 7 inches through the base and had a nice straight trunk.  Unfortunately the tree was growing on the side of a creek at the bottom of a steep sandy bank.  Carrying a fresh cut log up 90 feet of sandy bank was do able, but lets just say I'll be looking for trees that are easier to get to the road in the future.
So I got the log down to the garage and starting removing bark. The bark was not easily removed, hey I needed to work up sweat anyway.  Then I started to split the log.  The juniper I favor splits real easy with an ax and a couple of wedges.....  Elm doesn't.  I might have quit here, but my wedges were stuck.  So after a trip to town to buy another wedge and then another trip to town to buy a new axe handle, and a lot of pounding I managed to split the darn log.  Then I tried to split one of the halves and the split ran out the side and ruined the stave.  Well that was OK I still had one stave, but I was beginning to wonder why anyone ever wanted to make a bow out of elm.
I was anxious to try this stave so I shipped it home (Nebraska to California) even though it was wet and heavy, and cut it roughly to shape.  After ~ 2 months of seasoning in our warm dry CA summer I decided to begin rough tillering.  I got to the stringing stage, but the stave seemed kind of noodlish and was beginning to take a nasty set.  Well I steamed some reflex into the outer 1/3 of each limb, and set the stave aside for several months to cure some more. 
When I got around to doing some more tillering the wood seemed much stronger.  The limbs stayed reflexed and the bow came to its target weight, but the bow shot disappointingly slow.   Then after ~ 30 arrows a large splinter lifted on one of the limbs.  I really thought a long time before putting any more work into this bow, but why quit now?
So, three layers of elk sinew were applied.  Another couple of months of work and curing went by and I must say I would have starved to death about six times over, if I were counting on this bow for survival.   The dang thing actually shoots now.  I haven't chronographed it, but I'm satisfied with the way the arrows fly.
I applied a heavy coat of black leather dye over the whole bow.  Then I lightly sanded to remove much of the dye.  The grain really stands out on the belly and the sinew now looks like tree bark ( sort of.)
The bow is 67" nock  to nock, 1.5 inches wide tapering to 1/2" at the nocks.  It pulls 55 lb at 28".

‘Blackie”
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline PatM

Re: elm bow- never again
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:11:45 pm »
 Lessons learned: Cut Elm when the sap is rising and the bark will peel like skinning a rabbit. Kerf the log as deep as you can with a circular saw before trying to split it. Don't attempt to get too many staves from elm by splitting. Let it dry considerably before reducing it to dimensions that will induce warping. Finally, heat treat the bow. You may never use another wood if you have access to plenty of Elm.
 Pat

Offline Tim B

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:12:14 pm »
How about some pics?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 11:12:27 pm »
Sorry Folks, Blackie had an active link to photobucket, but the link went away.   Can anybody remind how to make active links?

In the meantime here are the URL's    :

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:15:39 pm »
Well that looked better than I expected. 
Pat and Tim, man you guys are fast!  Two replies before I even finished checking to see if the link worked!    Ron

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 04:18:09 am »
Lessons learned: Cut Elm when the sap is rising and the bark will peel like skinning a rabbit. Kerf the log as deep as you can with a circular saw before trying to split it. Don't attempt to get too many staves from elm by splitting. Let it dry considerably before reducing it to dimensions that will induce warping. Finally, heat treat the bow. You may never use another wood if you have access to plenty of Elm.
 Pat
Hi Pat can you plz tell me whatt periode of time is the best to cum elm??Sorry for the stupid question but my english its not verry good and i dont understand all the time whatt you are saying.Thks a lot.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 05:28:53 am »
Good save,you always learn a lot when they give you trouble.Never tried a bow from elm,
but have tried splitting it for fire wood and it was tough.Nice looking finish,it should blend right
in woods. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:59:35 am »
Looks like a nice bow, I have some elm drying and ya its tough to split
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 11:12:51 am »
i love elm. makes ya earn the bow. excellent job.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 10:58:31 pm »
Super bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 03:56:28 am »
Thanks for the kind words.   This stave definitely made me work for the bow!  If I ever take up pig hunting, this bow should do the job.  If I can't hit them with the arrows, maybe I can just run up and use it as a club.    Ron

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 12:41:09 pm »
Got your bow, M-P, bookmarked for Oct Self Bow of the Month.  Good job.  See you later.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline snedeker

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 03:34:04 pm »
Congrats on the bow.  Nice one. 

I cut the only elm I've ever done on a stinking hhot 4th of July morning a few years ago.  Didn't split bad at all.  It was on an area about to be developed, so it was either get it then or see it go into the chipper. 

Made a good bow too, and it was early on in my career, big-toe sized tips eg.  I have a stave left and will do one sometime.

Dave

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:51:27 am »
Good luck Dave.  My (limited) experiece is that elm can make a nice bow, but you can't rush it and the stave are a real pain to produce.  If I ever try again I'll probably try DAve's idea about heat treating the belly.   Ron

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 10:01:15 am »
Good looking bow. I've worked slippery elm, and it's not much harder to deal with than pignut hickory. I like elm from what little I've worked with it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.