Author Topic: Making trade point?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Making trade point?
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:53:33 pm »
If you were going to be making a lot of trade points, would you rather use a band saw to cut them out, get an abrasive cut off saw, or an angle grinder.  What would be the best route to take?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Making trade point?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:05:16 pm »
I got an angle grinder with the abrasive wheels to rough them out.  I like how well it works.  I haven't tried a bandsaw yet.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:07:08 pm »
Metal band saw that Will has down in the shop area at Twin Oaks works better then anything I ever tried before.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:23:43 am »
I'd use a slow, metal band saw like the one Will has at Twinn Oaks. It cuts a lot better then my air cut-off saw and is a lot quieter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:50:36 am »
I'd use a Scotchman Industries hydraulic metal shear.  Their littlest machine, the 45 ton,  would do it easy enough, it's rated to shear 3/8 by 6" bar stock!  Heck, their specialty tool shop would make a set of dies so that you could punch them outa sheetstock!  And if you still got money left over, they got a guy that used to work for them that could take their hydraulic ironworker and build an automated system to run it.  All you'd have to do is load the pallet of sheet steel on the machine and hit the ON button.  It would automatically feed and punch away while you drank coffee and polished your fingernails.  The ironworker would cost you around $12,000.  Jeff would build the one-off CNC automated system for about $75,000.

The saw is probably cheaper and more likely faster production than using cut off wheels on a dremel.  Plus it's less likely to overheat and ruin the tenper of the cutting edges. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:15 am »
I made about 4 dozen on the trade points so far using Will's saw.  Takes me about 2 minutes per blade to cut out and they look and work great.  I have my pattern down so the finished point weighs in at 160 grains after I put an edge on them Plus or minus a couple grains.  They work great.  The guys at Twin Oaks love them that have asked me for a few.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:51:29 am »
I think I have a few of the ones you made Jon.  We traded last year at the classic?  JW, I want to make a few points, not go broke...lol