Author Topic: Del's First BBY  (Read 9583 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Del's First BBY
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:12:45 am »
First time I've used boo, so thanks for the input from you guys which put me on track.
The Yew billets were kindly sent to me by a guy called Joe who had cut them over 10 years ago in the Cascades and realised he'd never get round to using them.
The sapwood had bug damage 'cos the bugs had never read those books which say the toxic nature of Yew prevents bugs eatin' it.
I ran it through the bandsaw to take off the sapwood and spliced  'em up with a little back set. I sawed it out following the grain a bit rather than just straight like a plank, filled a couple of knots too.
I then stuck on the boo strapped it up with the  slight deflex of the tips pulled out and bish bash bosh, job's a good 'un.
The back is pretty much ramrod straight and there's a lot of early tension (it's harder to string than my self Yew longbow).
I found it pretty much tillered itself as I'd prepared the Yew with fairly even thickness taper before glue up.
I'll post the stats later on. Here's the pics for now.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

Re: Del's First BBY
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:18:16 am »
Sweet..that turned out well for ya  ;)

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:21:01 am »
Dell, all your bows are very well tillered, but the profiles are "classic" in every sense of the word, this one is no exception. Beautiful bow, sir.
rich

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:23:46 am »
   thats awesome, nicely done, I love that combo

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:25:34 am »
That is a belter Del, stunning work as usual.

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:43:40 am »
excellent work del. i was just wondering why you fill the knots. would they pop out if left in? or are they a weak spot? i have noticed you do this quite abit. you do a great job of it.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:46:27 am »
Beautiful bow Del.very nice tiller and all round work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:48:16 am »
Sweet.That's a prize winner.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:18 am »
Another beauty Del!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 12:34:55 pm »
Very nicely done Del!!!

That Boo almost looks like sapwood....  great bend!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »
cool bow! as stated above tiller looks perfect
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 01:27:23 pm »
Man that's a good lookin bow! Nicely done!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:52 pm »
excellent work del. i was just wondering why you fill the knots. would they pop out if left in? or are they a weak spot? i have noticed you do this quite abit. you do a great job of it.
The knot was pretty loose and rotten.
I've been caught out before now with what looked to be a small sound knot which turns out to be a big rotten knot which has grown over. So these days I give 'em a good pokin' with an old needle file ground to a chisel point. If they move at all or are soft I dig 'em out and fill 'em.
If you can see one end of the knot but not the other, there's no way of knowing how deep or rotten it is.
With the one in the pic, you can see, if I rounded the belly it would be breaking into the edge of the knot, and if that was loose it would be asking for trouble.
The bow is pretty much an ELB but with a rather flat rectangular section, it still conforms to the 5/8 thickness/width ratio which some archery societies say defines an ELB.
Del

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »
That's English art right thrrr!
Very well played ol'chap!
I'm digging your pearl inlays!
Maybe you could e-mail me the procedure:)

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 02:12:10 pm »
That's English art right thrrr!
Very well played ol'chap!
I'm digging your pearl inlays!
Maybe you could e-mail me the procedure:)

-Pinecone
I got some nice Mother of Pearl 3mm thick from E-bay. I saw it out as a rectangle using a hacksaw with it clamped in the vice with some sheet rubber around it to grip it whilst preventing damage. The belt sander with a fairly fine belt grinds it to shape.
I then position it on the bow, draw round with a sharp pencil and the use a crafy knife to carefull cut just inside that line.
Some people just score right round with a knife rather than using a pencil first.
To make sure I don't cut too big a hole I make sure I cut the lower straightish edge a fair way inside the line. That way I can always adjust the hole or the MOP and push it further up into the pointed end (hope that makes sense).
Once the outline is scored I cut cross hatch lines inside the outline (see pic) and then flick out the resulting pieces with the tip of my blade or an old needle file ground down to a small chisel point. Once you've removed that first layer of cross hatching you have a nice clean edge to work to and it's relatively easy to cut the outline deeper and repeat the process til it's deep enough. Of course the final fitting requires some adjustment to get it just right, but it's simply slow and steady. I normally need a couple of breaks and a few mugs of tea ;) I also put on some higher strength glasses, get myself sat comfortably with the bow held in the vice. I find it helps to reverse the bow quite often to avoid the danger of the knfe slipping along the grain.
Hope this helps.
Del