Author Topic: Question regarding Merida's bow (for kicks and grins)  (Read 6380 times)

Offline Tom Leemans

Question regarding Merida's bow (for kicks and grins)
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:51:03 pm »
O.K. So we watched "Brave" again the other night. Best PIXAR movie to date! Kudos to the studios for getting the arrow flight down pat and adding little subtle things that most animators would have left out, like self nocks and wrapped fletching. My daughter says "Oh look, she even has the little scar on her face where the fletching cut her cheek."
I'm not going to criticize the free spirited young lass for carving on her bow's belly. It's obviously a superior bow wood and could handle it. I'm not going to chastise her for adorning the limb tips with unnecessary weight. I digress. We come to the part in the movie where her mother throws Merida's bow in to the fireplace, then quickly plucks it out after the string has burned through and she realizes what she's done. My wife says "Oh she's ruined that bow now." I say "Oh no, it's just tempered now. Probably picked up 4 or 5 pounds"

I say they just wipe it off, put on a new string, re-wrap the handle, and try it out. What say ye?

Offline seabass

Re: Question regarding Merida's bow (for kicks and grins)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:07:41 pm »
i saw the movie the other night.i think she got it out of the fire quick enough.now it's heat treated.may have gained a few pounds.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »
It was elm, right?  That stuff loves a little tempering.   She had a cheek scar from a stray arrow fletch?  I didn't notice that.  Your daughter has a keen eye!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »
We just watched that Saturday night also... yes, I noticed the arrow flight and the fletching cutting her cheek. Cool details!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:17:31 pm »
Could always build a little fire and try it out! Lets use one of your bows ;D

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »
and ruin my cool dye jobs??? :o

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:06 pm »
saw it in theaters.  I noticed the arrow flight right off!  Being  CG geek as well as an bow geek, that really got me.

But yeah, as fast as the bow was pulled, it probably didn't do too much damage.  I think it would still shoot.  But then again, what would I know, I'm still a noob.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »
It may even open a whole new world of finishing techniques to you, Tom!

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 06:23:23 am »
Eh, her bow was probably osage ;)  Honestly though, if a person was to carve into the belly of a bow like that, how bad could it affect the bow? Assuming of course you only go long ways and not width wise to cause a hinge.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 10:39:53 am »
Is that a rented vid Tom?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 05:51:09 pm »
It's out on DVD

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 06:06:15 pm »
Eh, her bow was probably osage ;)  Honestly though, if a person was to carve into the belly of a bow like that, how bad could it affect the bow? Assuming of course you only go long ways and not width wise to cause a hinge.

You should check out some of halfeyes amazing back carved bows.  I believe he has posted at least two on here I think.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Shaun

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 08:50:21 pm »
I bought the DVD (business expense for my bow shop). Made a nice one from rattan for a young lady - 10# @ any draw. That shape is sweet shooting but a pain to heat bend into the bow. The slow mo of arrow flight at her 3rd shot in the contest is just too cool - perfect spine for parallax clearing the bow - and  of course the slow mo Robin Hood to win. Not that I enjoyed watching... it was purely business. 

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 09:31:39 pm »
I bought the DVD (business expense for my bow shop). Made a nice one from rattan for a young lady - 10# @ any draw. That shape is sweet shooting but a pain to heat bend into the bow. The slow mo of arrow flight at her 3rd shot in the contest is just too cool - perfect spine for parallax clearing the bow - and  of course the slow mo Robin Hood to win. Not that I enjoyed watching... it was purely business.
::)Suuurre! ::) ;)

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 12:15:23 am »
I got to see it at the theatre with my daughter and really enjoyed the archery as it was portrayed.