Author Topic: Burn Out?  (Read 3886 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Burn Out?
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:54:09 pm »
Have y'all ever burned out on your bowmaking?  I've always loved to build bows and even more enjoy helping somebody build their first bow, but lately I'm struggling to go out and work on the bows I have in progress.  Even shooting my self bows has lost it's allure.  I'm sure part of my problem, being the gregarious type, is that I've not made a friend in the neighborhood I can build bows with since moving to Dallas.  Maybe I should post on Craig's list...Bow Making Friend Wanted, $1. :)  Hasn't helped that I've had a tough deer season.  I've had 3 shot opportunities at legal deer (we have antler restrictions here), shot under a beautiful buck that was further out than I thought; missed a doe when my lower limb smacked the tree stand; and didn't even get an arrow off at the deer last Sat morning when I was distracted by a crow that landed 10' from my ground blind.  How often do you get the chance to shoot a crow with a self bow?  Anyway, I sure wish the old desire to crank out bows would come back.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Will H

Re: Burn Out?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:57 pm »
I'm the same way George. I get Burt on bows and focus on knappin then turn around 6months later and drop knappin and start building bows ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Patches

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:14:43 pm »
I think you can burn out on just about any hobby.  I agree with Will H. If I feel like I am burning out on one thing, I will set it aside and concentrate on something else for a while.  It really seems to help.  I am getting burned out on bowhunting right now.  I live where there are antler restrictions and so I have not even got to draw on a deer yet this year.  I have had several small bucks within 15 ft of my stand, but I cannot shoot because they have too few points.  Its rough when I am wanting to get my first selfbow kill, and can't shoot.  But that said, we only have a month of bow season left here, and I have not touched a bow to work on since early Oct. so I am about ready to start working on bows again.  Give it a few months and work on something else, and hopefully you will want to get back to bowmaking.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »
I think I have the cure for you George, go and pick out the nastiest, bug infested stave you can find in your stash and then spend a few days just looking at it trying to see the bow hidden inside.  Then wait until the mood strikes you just right and I bet you will tear into that thing with a cloud of yellow dust all around.

I think you should try the craigslist idea.  You might be supprised by the response you get.  Just be careful inviting strangers from the internet to your house. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »
George, I haven't built a bow in almost a year.  :(   I haven't hardly shot bows much lately and never even hunted this year.  :o  I had the day off of work today due to rain so I have spent a few hours in my shop getting back into it. It sure feels good to do so. Just like getting frustrated while building bows walking away for a while will get your mind back into it, I promise.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:50:36 pm »
Yeah, burn out creeps in when it stops being fun.  I've talked to a couple guys who have hit deer with blunts just to say in practice.  Now that sounds like fun!   >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:22 pm »
i feel your pain george, never have had someone to work on bows with, or knap for that matter, if i get burnt on bows i'll knap or get some steel out and make a knife or something else, that's why i dont build bows for the christmas xchange, just want to do something differant, but the fire allways comes back, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »
Thanks all.  Clint, I'm just packaging my worst stave to send to Sleek because that's what he asked for. You're right about strangers these days.  I think everybody's right, I need a break.  Even flint knapping isn't tripping my trigger the way it was.  :(  I already have a new project to work on. :)  There's an old gas golf cart sitting derelict at my deer lease and I just got permission this morning to trailer it home and bring it back to life in the shop.  That'll be a nice diversion.  Have to find a way to get some osage in that build. ;)  Maybe somebody'll need some help building a bow this winter.  That always gets me excited.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:02:17 pm »
Just about the same situation as you G, you could allways take-up hunting deer with a cinch. I gaurantee it'll get ya in the mood >:D Do what ya feel like, lifes too short not to.
rich

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:42:28 pm »
G-berg, I get the same thing, run that trapline for about 6 weeks an I'm burned out, been nice weather for trapping so as soon as I pull feel guilty because I'm wasting good weather, also big difference between checking traps an trapping, picked up my knapping tools an got a few this week, got a bow half finished from last winter, soon it will be snowing an i'll start on the bow again. The trapline turns into a job because of 7 days a week checking kinda like milking cows, no breaks no vacation days. Next trapping season I'll be all fired up to try an hit it hard for as long as I can :D :DBob

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »
bob has it right about having to do it makeing it seem like work, thats why i dont sell bows, if i gotta do something i dont want to, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »
Yes sir George. That's why I have 12+ bows left unfinished. It's been awhile since I completed one and need to at this point. When I'm inspired again I will hit hard. Go break some rock until you're in the mood to work a bow ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:23 pm »
I burned out on making bows a few years back. Luckily, I discovered crossbows, but will get back to making self bows one of these days. Time is so limited, that is one of the big issues I always face.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 09:06:05 pm »
I've got two bows almost finished, another real close, and 4 more half way finished. It's hard to get motivated when it's hunting season here and I haven't had a shot at a deer in three states with a bow or gun. Maybe that's why I'm working on walking sticks, powder horns and scrimshawing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 10:52:45 pm »
I understand how you feel, too.  Go futz around with the golf cart so that you can haul my lazy butt around hunting hogs when I get down there!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.