Author Topic: New BBI  (Read 6701 times)

Offline missilemaster

New BBI
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »
Hey guys,

Here's one I just finished up.  Bamboo backed ipe, 47# @ 28".   2 1/4" reflex,   very quiet to shoot. This bow actually picked up more reflex as I tillered and shot it! I believe the reason for this is that as I removed wood to take it down to poundage, the belly wood became thin enough that the glue line was able to pull it into its original glued up reflex. this bow therefore, acquired near zero set.  This bow shoots my 500 gr. arrows very flat and fast.

The dye job was done by applying it to the back, then driping DNA(denatured alcohol) along the back.  The only thing that has me bummed about this one is that I wanted to create contrast on the back by scraping the edges of the bamboo, but the dye sank in deeper than I thought it would so it left it a bit discolored.  Oh well, I am my own worst critic ::)  thanks for looking.

-Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline missilemaster

Re: New BBI
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »
more

Real men love Jesus.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »
more

Real men love Jesus.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:42:01 pm »
That is one nice pea shooter. 

Please give some more detail about how you achieved that outstanding dye job.  Very striking.

Russ

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:43:09 pm »
That is about as clean as they come.  The dye work is outstanding, excellent tiller, attention to detail and finish work.  Very very nice!

Gave
Humboldt County CA.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:59:31 pm »
That is one nice pea shooter. 

Please give some more detail about how you achieved that outstanding dye job.  Very striking.

Russ
Thanks Russ.   the dye I used was rit dye diluted in an equal amount of DNA.  After applying several coats to buil up the color, I dunked my finger in DNA and just started lightly touching the back and allowing the alcohol to move aside the dye....Very fun to watch!! :)  I also put some drips of black transtint dye on some of the larger circles.  I then sprayed on some aerosol spar urethane coats before applying it by rubbing so as not to rub off ant of the dye.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »
 ;D Gorgeous looking bow, very nice. P.S. how many inches NTN...?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:06 pm »
Uh oh...Codys crossed the line into cookie cutter world..lol :laugh: looks good..is this your first glue up? Glue type?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »
It's been a while since I replied to a newly made bow. But this one blew me away!!! :)  You did a great job here! The dye is excellent and very innovative.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 06:40:25 pm »
Good looking back work Cody........I guess its okay for a "kit" bow......
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:30 pm »
i think it looks great Cody.i have seen Tim Ott dye arrows like that.good job buddy.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:50 pm »
Sweet!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 08:15:50 pm »
Man Cody that bow is something. Clean lines, great looking profiles unbraced, braced and drawn. I like me some artistic work on bows and what you did with that dye job on the back is as good as it gets, very unique. I know I'll be looking back at this post many times to
admire the workmanship you put into this bow.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »
thanks for the replies everyone. Forgot to say she's 62" ntn. This is my third glue up and I used TBIII- good stuff!

@ b.hawk-   Thanks man, you have made some pretty sweet looking cookies yourself ;D ;D I admit that making selfbows is more of a challenge and therefore more fun, however, I like to tackle all kinds of bows. In fact I recently contacted James Parker and will probably be going to his place next year to learn how to build BBB's and get my feet wet in composites. :D

Real men love Jesus.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »
sweet!
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"