Author Topic: Humpday hackberry humor  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Humpday hackberry humor
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:57:01 pm »
Yesterday I promised Okie64 I would embaress myself by posting some pics of my latest hackberry project. I think this is my third attempt with this deceitful species. The previous two staves twisted and warped so badly I didn't even try, this stave wasn't much better but I decided to plow ahead... 64" NTN, 35# @ 24".
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline half eye

Re: Humpday hackberry humor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »
My money is on you, bud 8) Looks like ya got her comin along real nice
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:07:10 pm »
Heat it up and move it. It bends like a wet noodle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:24:38 pm »
I think the problem is your limb thickness is not consistant. If it is too thick on one side of the limb the limb will twist when the bow is braced.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »
I think Pat's on to something there.  You might loose a lot of weight trying to even them up.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 05:36:26 pm »
Bend looks good but if twist is present I'd do like Pat said and check thickness taper, then do like Pearl Drums said and heat correct twist out of limbs. Hackberry does manipulate easily with heat in my experience. After everything is evened up you could also heat treat the belly into some reflex to gain a little weight if you wanted. Looks like you have a good bow in that piece . :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:58:16 pm »
Pat called it. Once I read his response and went back and looked at the pictures it sure looks like there is visible difference in thickness across the limb.
Thanks for posting. Great learning from someone else.  8)

Keith

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:14:45 pm »
That bend looks pretty good to me Eric. In the drawn pic the limb on the left is a little stiff but not bad. Hard to tell from the pic if the thickness is off or its just twisted but either way thats still gonna make a fine bow. If your thickness is good just take a heat gun and crescent wrench to it and that twist will pull right out. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:59:37 pm »
Keith dont let the twisted limb fool your eyes into thinking his taper is that bad. Pat may be right, but that picture wont asnwer it. Two forefingers and two thumbs will though!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:18 am »
Thanks for all the input. The right limb--the good one is thicker, especially near the handle. The full draw picture hardly shows the entire problems. The left limb is a little stiff mid-limb, but I've removed so much wood there something is telling me to stop. The twist begins out of the handle, then 2/3 of the way up the limb it also has a curve in it...kind of like a question mark. Guess the next step will be to add the heat.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:47 pm »
had my best luck heat correcting hackberry by tempering it into submission ;) 

Keep at it and you'll make a shooter out of it.  Tempered hackberry is fast.