Author Topic: Arrow passes  (Read 1636 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Arrow passes
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:17 pm »
I've just made a bow I like with a wider shooting pass than most my bows.It shoots to the left constantly.Only 5 to 6 inches mind you at 20 yards.I've tried many different spined arrows and it still shoots to the left.It is 1and1/8" wide at arrow pass.Most of my arrow passes are under 3/4" or center shot.It barely bends at all in the handle at full draw at 56 pounds.It's hedge and the handle is 7/8" deep with leather additions on the belly of handle and back of handle for comfort.Fades are 5/8" thick at widest point.I'm about ready to file a groove deeper at the arrow pass.I've fixed this once on a bow and all I had to do was take about an 1/8" off but the handle was deeper on that one.My concern is of course whether it will compromise the bow any and crack at that fade above the arrow pass on the top limb.Is there any other solution than this for me?I know I'm probably on my own with this but maybe someone has a different thought or two.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Arrow passes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:40 pm »
Sounds like you got enuff wood to do that Bro... But i would suggest just you just spend alot of time shootin it..... Takes awhile to get used to it but you will naturally adjust.. Jmo
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:22:25 pm »
Ed, if you round off the belly of your fades a little so that the force is concentrated a little more towards the center and away from the edges, it should be fine.  If you don't get carried away.  It will affect your tiller, so keep that in mind.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:47:10 pm »
You said you have used many different spine arrows but you are still shooting left. What is the draw weight of your bow and what spine arrows have you tried. I would suggest that you try arrows that are at least 10# lighter spine than the bow draw weight. Also if you leave the arrows longer than normal it will help them get around the bow. I do not own a bow that is center shot and most of my self bows are at least 1" wide at the arrow pass and many as much as 1 1/4" wide. I draw 26" but cut my arrows to 30".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:11 pm »
I assume you are a right handed shooter,if so try canting the bow a little more,that will move the arrow right. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:47:07 pm »
Good call pappy...ed it might just be that easy...I know I have bows that prefer n shoot best almost straight up n down,and a couple that prefer being canted so hard there almost horizontal,and everything in between. It seems each bow has its "sweet" spot that ya just gotta find.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »
Your subconcious should be making that adjustment for you after a few dozen shots. Do you gap shoot ro something?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:13:50 pm »
Well I realize what your saying fellas canting,finding the sweet spot etc.This one I'd have to be darn near horizontal and then I guess my subconsious or whatever would have to adjust to it shooting high then.I always cant a bit even center shot passes anyway but not this much.
Rounding the belly fades sounds logical after arrow pass material removal.I always leave a very slight 1/8" wide hump the arrow rides on the arrow pass to allow the shaft to paradox without any interference.Could be wrong doing that but it's worked for me and the way I shoot.No formal training here to shoot just grab draw to anchor and shoot......LOL.I don't gap shoot myself but halfway understand the concept of it.I've shot somewhere between 250 to 300 hundred arrows so far and it still is pissing me off.I put the handle on too quick on this one.Any of you guys ever do that?I'll keep shootin it for another 200 and see once.......LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 04:22:02 pm »
I still say you are shooting the wrong spined arrows for your bow, draw weight and your style of shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 04:44:00 pm »
Pat B....The bow settled with about an 1and1/4" backset with a fast flight string.It's drawing 56#@28".It weighed only 17 ounces and has good cast for me.Usually with that poundage bow and B50 I'll shoot a 47 to 48 spine arrow.So I started with a 55#spine arrow adding 5# for fast flights' stiffness.I went down to 45# still the same.Then up to 60 to 65 spine still the same.I can usually group well in a 5"to6" circle at 20 yards with 6 arrows or so but this one I can't.I'll keep shootin it and work it out.I just like all of my bows to shoot the same that's all.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 04:48:57 pm »
I have a 63" ntn 60 @ 27 osage flatbow that shoots 28" 55-60 shafts with 145 up front great. The handle is 1 1 /4" wide and it has an 8 strand D97 string.

Sometimes the bows tiller will make that happen to. I know it sounds crazy, but Ive proven it to me a few times now. If the tiller isnt nutz it puts pressures in places it shouldnt, causing a torque effect upon release. Throw up a tiller pic if you feel compelled.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:34:53 pm »
I don't have a digital camera or phone.I know shame on me.....but the tiller's good.On the tree and in the mirror.The string is running dead center of handle.One of the recurves is not quite dead on but not that much I did'nt think I needed to reheat it.I've shot another 60 arrows and have brought the groups tolerable for me.My form SUCKS and this wider handle is not as forgiving as my narrower handle passes so it deserves more concentration by me while shooting.Shotgun season started here and I hav'nt shot for about a week and that could be the problem here.I just cried wolf too quick I guess.Thanks for the helpful concern.I hope to return the favor someday.
BowEd
Ed