Author Topic: home made sleeves-any one  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Blacktail

home made sleeves-any one
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:46:40 am »
has any made home made sleeves...if so how did you make them and the specs about the tubing or pipe...john

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: home made sleeves-any one
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:55:32 am »
John, I have never made sleeves myself. Actually, I was just trying to look Richard Drykhoff up today so I could get a set from him to take a look at it.   Does anybody know how to reach Richard?  John, if I get his contact info, I will pass it on.  He would be the one to ask how to make sleeves.  I am sure someone else here will be able to add something more useful. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:15:41 am »
There's a video on youtube on how to do it.  Two pipes, one 6" long and another one 3" short. Smaller one must fit snugly into the longer one. Put them together and put it in a table vise and flatten them enough so the don't spin. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 06:31:31 am »
this was posted just the other dayhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35934.15.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:41 am »
Depending on how up-town you want your bow to be. Maybe 10 years ago there was an article in Primitive Archer magazine how to make a DIY take-down. Basically take a 4" section of 1" wide metal conduit pipe ( flatten a little in a vice if you desire an oval handle). Then shape the last 2" of each limb to fit into the pipe handle.
     I've made several bows this way--ash ELBs, osage flatbows, etc. They work fine. I'll see if I can bring up an an old post that has some pics.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:05 am »
Hopefully these will post.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:02:39 am »
Mike Westvang(of Dryad Bows) and Rusty Crane wrote an article for PA years ago about using rigid metal electrical conduit for a take down sleeve. I cut a few sleeves out but never used them. If you want one or two of them I'll send them to you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:25:59 pm »
Madcrow has a build along on here.
Rob

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »
I have plans to make some at work when I get the chance.......one day.  Plan to use Stainless steel and Aluminum Bronze.  With that combo I will not have to worry about possible rust from a steel sleeve.  The good thing is if I make them and they work out good I will be able to make more.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »
Wood swelling is not a problem HRATHGAR?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:01 am »
wow,there is some good ideas on here..i will be looking in to them more..i tried to look up the you tube video and didnt find it...so,i am going to the hardware store and see what they got...SO,what would be a good glue for this..thanks so much..john

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 02:48:44 am »
How about a piece of copper pipe? I'm sure a a big pricey, but may look unique.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:23 am »
"Wood swelling is not a problem HRATHGAR?"
     I've never had any problem with wood swelling. Although a person can leave this a 3 part takedown I found it has been easier to have one of the limbs glued into the handle permanently. This serves two purposes: first you don't need to take the time to decide which limb fits best in which end (this can be a problem if you choose to squeeze the handle into an oval shape) secondly, and more importantly, if the limb isn't real snug in the handle it can turn a little after several shots.
     With my first takedown sleeve I used a small shim or two to tighten up the insert --as suggested in the original article--I've discovered that wrapping a small piece of masking tape around the inserted end will also ensure a tight fit.
     After a bow of two it gets much easier. The biggest challenge is making sure the tips will be aligned and that the limbs form a straight horizontal plane.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:49 am »
   The first 2 take downs I used sleaves off the legs of a old  WW11 MECHINAL (MASH) type tents. The legs go together about half way up. There a 1 1/8" holes and have a nice fit and even had a lock to hold the two parts together. Not needed it was a deep sleave 1 1/2"s. Only one I've ever seen got it off a old dump I could only find 3 legs that had the sleaves on them. The rest were missing. They look and work as good as the ones 3 river has.
  The last one I made from stainess steel tubeing. I cut and tigged a peice on each side makeing  the sleave oblong. I also made a stainess hindge before. But really don't care for the hindges.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:18 pm »
Just I would trow this out there. I have looked at various take down systems. I came up with this idea today. I think it will work using 2 screws instead of one with a metal dowel like they use on the 3 piece take down bows. Tell me what you think..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell