Author Topic: looking for a pair of moccasins  (Read 13111 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

looking for a pair of moccasins
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:31 pm »
I am in the market for a pair of mocs. I ofcourse dont want to spend a huge amount, but I'd spend $50 on a pair. I want real leather, leather bottoms the whole nine yards...real mocs.  just for hunting.  I made some but they are ugly, I want a decent pair to wear with my buckskins and such.  I have been looking at the soft sole Minnetonka's and I like they way they look... but because they are in large production I am kinda hesitant.  anyone know of anyone or anywhere else to maybe look?  I like support small time businesses and get something more hand crafted. I'd be apt to pay a little more for such an item.   any ideas? or thoughts before I buy?   anyone on here make any that they may like to trade?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline TRACY

Re: looking for a pair of moccasins
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:31:14 pm »
At the Classic last May there was a husband and wife that were selling them with many different styles to choose from. Bought a pair for my wife and I and love hunting in them. I also teach all day in them. Best "shoes" I have ever purchased! Someone else might recall their names. Maybe someone else can remember their name. Highly recommend.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:39:33 pm »
Poppin is their name and make some of the best mocassins around. And, they're right here in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:40:52 pm »
thats exactly what I am looking for.someone who makes mocs like I make bows. out of my home, not a factory. 

eddie, I thought it was Poppin b\c they were at the tbof last year. I cant find a website tho
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:21 pm »
correction  the ones I think we are lookin at are Poppen mocs   Poppin mocs is a different, larger company.   still looking for a poppen moc website
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:47:29 pm »
found a price list and contact info. little out of what i can spend at the moment tho  :-\  kinda figured that may happen
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »
Ryan, I've got there phone number,  or a real easy pattern for Seminole/Miccosuki mocassins. I've been wearing mine for over 12 years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:16:47 am »
She made me a pair and I hunted in them this year a few times.  Great folks who called me prior to making for final thoughts on exactly what I wanted.  I admit the wife was not amused when I showed her the 200.00 price tag I paid them, but she loves me and forgave me in the end.  I figure it's a once in a lifetime expense.  They will resole them for 20.00 as needed plus shipping.  I did go the whole hog and get the best one's I liked.  Mine have the deer tanned line-ing inside and the padding between sole and bottom.  Like walking on air.   I really like how she measures your feet, both of em, and get's a tracing.  Never had a better made pair of foot gear in my life.  I learned I have a different size for each foot.  Never knew that before.  Bottom line is they are indeed pricey but worth it for a once in a lifetime purchase.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:45:52 am »
She made me a pair and I hunted in them this year a few times.  Great folks who called me prior to making for final thoughts on exactly what I wanted.  I admit the wife was not amused when I showed her the 200.00 price tag I paid them, but she loves me and forgave me in the end.  I figure it's a once in a lifetime expense.  They will resole them for 20.00 as needed plus shipping.  I did go the whole hog and get the best one's I liked.  Mine have the deer tanned line-ing inside and the padding between sole and bottom.  Like walking on air.   I really like how she measures your feet, both of em, and get's a tracing.  Never had a better made pair of foot gear in my life.  I learned I have a different size for each foot.  Never knew that before.  Bottom line is they are indeed pricey but worth it for a once in a lifetime purchase.

Ditto! I think I'll wear my to school today ;)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Scowler

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:09:21 am »
Check out Arrow Moccasins.  They may cost a bit more than the $50.00 you want to pay but they make excellent moccasins.  I got a pair of their Tall Ligoniers and Center Seam moccasins.  I've worn them for over twelve years (off and on) and they are still in great shape.  As with all moccasins you got to take care of them in order for them to last longer.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:09 am »
P.S.  My moccasins even match, in color, the tip overlays on the Elm bow you made me.  Its always a bonus to be fashionable in the forest ;D

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 12:29:36 pm »
haha  very cool.   Well I decided to suck it up and make a pair. :o    I was hesitant after my last set, but I have done a couple day sof research and picked up some ideas.  no reason I can't make nice ones myself.    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and then he can always make his own mocs  ;D  or something like that
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 01:56:29 pm »
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and then he can always make his own mocs  ;D  or something like that

No, it's teach a man to fish and he'll drink beer and waste all his time at the lake!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »
There's an excellent video by a guy named Mike Galban that shows how to make moccs very easily. I'd get the video and one of the leather kits from crazy crow or jas townsend and make them up right.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »
yeah they seem simple enough to make now..

haha good one JW
Formerly "twistedlimbs"