Author Topic: titebond question  (Read 1920 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
titebond question
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:44:50 pm »
so this may have been asked before, but for my sake i have to ask. is there any difference between titebond and TBII or TBIII? adhesive wise? i have a riser im gluing up and i have a bottle of titebond original and it seems like it would be fine but i wanted the advice of the more experienced bowyers here
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: titebond question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:00 pm »
Any of the three will do what you want it to do.  Most folks prefer because of its water proof properties but as far as glue goes any one will work for you. Be sure to follow the application and preperation directions on the bottle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:03:53 am »
Yes they are pretty much the same. I understood that TB1 had greater adhesion. The one thing I learned is that first contact is always the strongest. Apply glue to both pieces, marry them and rub back and forth a few times then align and clamp.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:10:12 am »
main difference is in waterproofness- tb3 is the  most waterproof. But like they said- for bow making even tb1 is waterproof enough.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:23:58 am »
Yep what they sed any one of them would be good. I use tb3 mostly on my wood projects because of the humidity in my part of texas its mostly 90-100% most of the year. Expecually on my lobgboards i build id hate to have a board come loose while cruizing over 30 mph iv felt a wipe like that once its not pretty lol 
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:39:49 am »
thank you all of you, i should be able to post results within a few days!
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:02:24 am »
Not only is TiteBond3 the most waterproof, it is also said to be the strongest. Nevertheless I'm pretty confident that TiteBond2 and even TB1 should be strong enough for bow making, IF applied properly. Try to get TB3, but if that is not available for you, you might as well buy TB2 or TB1.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 06:36:05 am »
tight bond 3 also has a longer working time, and around here in 115% heat that helps, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:33:02 am »
TB3 dries brown, TB2 dries white. TB3 is supposed to be stronger, but I doubt any of us could tell a difference. Both great glues.
If I'm gluing down snake skins or sinew, I usually use TB2 if I don't want the color of the skin or sinew to be darker when finished.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »
I have used TB1 on many projects. Usually found the glue joint to be stronger than the wood itself.
And most of us here are gluing face to face not end grain. Suffice to say I don't think that TB3 is that much stronger. I agee that TB3 dries brown, not good when laying down a fabric backing.. :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell