Author Topic: cleanest pignut ever  (Read 9509 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
cleanest pignut ever
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:59 am »
I was clearing widow makers and dropping firewood when I found this hickory. Grain looked straight so instead of firewood I cut it for staves. Started kerfing it with the chainsaw and I noticed a crack that was on one end looked identical to the crack on the other end. Put the splitting wedge in the fat end and quarted these logs with one hit. Was like splitting ash firewood except it was 72" long!! Never seen any tree split like that, nevermind hickory

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

Re: cleanest pignut ever
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:07:58 am »
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:12:28 am »
Wow! Thats gorgeous hickory Jamie. That haul should last a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:44 am »
Awesome staves, congrats.

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:18:35 am »
That is some fine looking bow wood. The difference between pignut and shagbark (the only hickory I ever cut) is striking, the heartwood is much darker, and bigger too. Having some heartwood left in the handle area of a bow will be nice.

I can see them starting to reflex already.

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:23:22 am »
Most of this is for education. That'll cover the 2 classes I do a year. Plus a couple for myself and friends. I'm going to mill up the top of the tree. Don't want to waste any of the tree. Make some beautiful fireplace mantels

waterbury, ct

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:59 am »
WOW - Nice, I'm see'n some great bows comin' ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:30 am »
A blindman could make bows outta those staves!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »
That sure is some clean looking hickory, Jamie. Should make som,e mighty fine bow wood.
  Nice to see you hanging about again.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:50:59 pm »
Those are some unbelievably gorgeous staves. I think I see an ambush bow in there. ;)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »
gorgeous! i know who i can contact if i wanna trade for very strait boring hickory  ::) ;D
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 01:04:50 pm »
Couldn't agree more with everyone, that's about as straight as it gets and the heartwood looks amazing.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 01:20:03 pm »
SweeeeeT!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 02:24:44 pm »
ok, I have to ask: I am very far from an expert, but are you sure thats pignut hickory?
If so then the pignut I have (which was unanimously identified by me & 2 guys who work for the game commission in the "habitat" group) isnt pignut... which is certainly possible, but I dont think so - I have both pignut & shagbark on my property, I've cut up a half dozen of each for various reasons. They were all white wood thru and thru, none of them have a dark center like that.  All were very typically "hickory stringy", I dont see any of that in your photos either.)

It is nice looking wood, and I'm not trying to disagree, just askin. 
I should know better.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 02:51:20 pm »
Score!
Clatskanie, Oregon