Author Topic: Done Any other wood working besides Bow's  (Read 3962 times)

Offline bow101

Done Any other wood working besides Bow's
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:39:48 pm »
     This is some of the stuff I have done in the past. Mostly in the last 7 years. My mistake should of been building bows, I probably would have been turning out some kick arse bows by now...... This bow building has taken me to another level like never before as far as wood working goes... No looking back, it will be a long time before I build any more boxes........!  :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bluegill68

Re: Done Any other wood working besides Bow's
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:40:24 pm »
Nice Work! I make boxes too but they don’t hold anything just lies and deceit. >:D

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:57:36 pm »
Made this about 8 years ago.  Still can't play :)

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:22:19 pm »
That's some good looking calls bluegill. I been wanting to try my hand at making one for spring gobbler season but I just don't know where to start.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:47:01 pm »
I don't know if this is what you had in mind but its the only other woodworking I've done.  I had an old, rickety (sp?), and ugly boxed in staircase and loft railing that had been bugging me for years because it was so out of place in what I thought would be a nice looking room if the stairs looked good.
I had had this idea that big-featured pieces would look good instead and finally one day I committed to the project by literally getting up out of the chair and ripping out the existing stairs.  I tore it all down to stringers and then installed temporary treads and railing. 

I found a local guy who milled lumber and I placed a custom order with him for this doug fir.  I picked up the fir, stacked it in the garage with a fan blowing on it and let the bulk of the moisture out of it before I started working it. 

I used electric hand planer, belt sander, palm sander, and router on each piece.  Every piece is custom fit because some of the main pieces were twisted or not square.  I had to reinforce and level the existing stringers.  I also refinished those beams in the ceiling.

It took me 4 solid months of working 10 hr/ days, average 3 days/week.  It is sealed with Seal a Cell (two coats) and stained (two coats), and has one coat of, yes, Tru-oil.  I hand made all the trim too.  Total cost, $600

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:26:38 am »
Nice stuff guys!!  Love that guitar.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:51:58 am »
Mcginnis,

Custom sawing has box call kits and call wood. all I did was was buy wood and make a copy of my favorite box call. then it just went from there.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58:21 am »
Man that is some nice stuff you guys are building. Cool picture of the Turkey call and that big blue head. ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »
Here are a few pics of some wood projects ive done lately
First few are of some Long boards i built

This pintail is a wide series i build its made for people close to 300 lbs the man was 260lb that i made it for i call it the fat boy pintail wide hehe In this next pick you can see the difference in the standerd FBPT which is my work horse iv been over 30 mph on her talk about a rush haha

This is a losenge shaped one flat top style no cacavity just throw down and ride you dont have to worry about which is the head or tail

And ofcorse one of my proudest project was building my mook i turned the arms and laminated the leg the body is of pvc my sifu help me on this project since everything has to be perfect for the mook to help you with the proper technique in training

I painted the body with some plastic paint but i dont have a pic of it  il post it later

"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
My other wood working ranges from pretty involved, turning blocks of wood into gun stocks,

Or very simple, turning scrap wood into carpenter bee traps.

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:05:38 am »
Here's a few of the things I have made over the years. I make stuff for a living.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:37 am »
Built this 16 X 20 timber frame cabin 2 years ago.

Offline cracker

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:08 am »
Really cool stuff guys outside bowmaking I have no wood talent. But give me a piece of steel and I'm you're man. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline robby

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »
Okay, its not all wood, but mostly it is.

I like to whittle too.

Robby

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 01:01:35 am »
Did some of this stuff as well. Solid Wood House doors.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell