Author Topic: Quick-draw archery video (Not the girl with the horse-bow) =)  (Read 10261 times)

Offline BL

Quick-draw archery video (Not the girl with the horse-bow) =)
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:09:28 pm »
I just saw this video and thought some may be interested.  If it's been posted before I apologize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

Highlights:
Lars Anderson drawing with up to 11 arrows held in the hand.  Fires all 11 before the first hits the ground.
Firing 10 arrows in under 5 seconds in a side-by-side with other popular quick-draw videos.
Good accuracy at speed from various positions, while falling/jumping, with moving targets.
Some scant historical references that would maybe make sense to some of you guys but were lost on me.

Enjoy!

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Quick-draw archery video (Not the girl with the horse-bow) =)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
Very cool, don't be surprised if this gets moved to another section. Happened to the last shooting vid
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:40:30 pm »
This guy strikes me as pretty wrapped up in his own ego. He sure likes to toot his own horn. It's hard for me to see past that and see his skill for what it is.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »
This guy was on 'right this minute' yesterday morning, is that where you first saw it?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »
I wonder if he made this movie, and referred to himself in the third person the whole time,  ;D. I thought he was pretty skilled at shooting fast. But what is the draw weight of the bow? I wonder if the bow he was using was anywhere close to the 75# - 100# and heavier turkish horn bows he was referring to. And what about the loss of momentum from not drawing the bow fully? I could see that guy lighting off arrows at a bunch of armored knights, and see em all plink off.  ;D Pretty cool though. I definitely can't do that. Sometimes I will hold a couple arrows in the hand I am holding the bow with, and that is hard enough.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:49:36 pm »
knots, do you think maybe some of the people way back when trained from boyhood? i think its possible, which could mean they could do what he could with the draw your talking about.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »
knots, do you think maybe some of the people way back when trained from boyhood? i think its possible, which could mean they could do what he could with the draw your talking about.

Maybe? In a real wartime scenario, I just don't see the point in speed shooting if the bow is only halfway drawn though. But maybe. You would have to be a beast to shoot a bow over a 100 pounds as fast as that guy was shooting.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »
He was drawing maybe 14" inches and was 5 yards away. Sorry but that is not speed shooting in my book. That is a useless skill.

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »
It is impossible to document that his technique is the technique of the "old masters" quoted by the narrator.  Especially when you take into account the compendium of sources from several continents over thousands of years.  Just as there was no ONE bow, there was no ONE WAY to shoot. 

The best thing to be said for high speed military arrow launching (a.k.a. rapid rate of fire) is that it maintains high rates of employment for those in the arrow making trades.

That being said, this guy has put quite a lot of effort into his trick shooting!  He has undoubtably mastered speed shooting, and ain't exactly a slouch at hitting moving targets at the same time!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BL

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 05:36:16 am »
He's got some shots in the video at 70 yards as well. 

It would be interesting to know the weight of the bow, although it's the technique that's being explored here, and I'm sure you could find a good balance of the bow weight to how far you can effectively draw shooting like this.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:00 am »
The last frames of the video state the two bows used are 30 and 35lbs.
Still Lurking here, gleaning knowledge and enjoying the view.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 11:30:08 am »
The last frames of the video state the two bows used are 30 and 35lbs.

I knew it.  ;D

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »
It's still pretty impressive to have 11 arrows in the air at the same time, regardless of draw weight or length.  I'd be lucky to get 2 in the air  :o

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:34:34 pm »
I saw this video the other day, and was not surprised either by the weight of the bows listed on the last frame.  I also thought, given the robotic voice that it was himself narrating in third person.  Kind of cheesey.  But hey, this guy is good at what he set out to do.  He clearly worked hard to achieve this skill, whether the skill has much application or not.  It might not be how "the Masters" did it, but he certainly has established a method of rapid shooting that no one else (on youtube  ;D) is doing today, but in all likelihood was a method utilized in the past.  Like the narrator points out, a lot of purported legend, such as shooting 10 arrows into the air before the first strikes the ground sound like fanciful myths, but then he goes and one ups it.  That is impressive and a valuable lesson in my opinion. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Merlit

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 09:41:35 pm »
I'll bet if he was from "The United States" your guy´s would be more respectful in your comment´s! Yes i'm from Denmark ;)