Author Topic: MOJam Osage bow  (Read 2227 times)

Offline RyanY

MOJam Osage bow
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »
Here's the bow I made at this years MOJam. I was going to wait till my sister finished hers but she still hasn't gotten around to it and, since I've been laying the smackdown on all you osage bowyers, I thought I'd post an osage bow of my own. It's 68" long and 40#@28". It has a 10" handle and fade length, 1.5" at the fades tapering to 1.25" at mid limb, and then to 3/8" tips with the outer 6-7" narrowed in a more convex manner. Took about 1.5" of set. Looking at it now I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't get it bending more in the area with a lot of character. Still shot well enough to get my arrow down range for the clout shoot though. I love the character and also the streaks of red in the wood. Adds a nice touch. Thanks for looking!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: MOJam Osage bow
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:10:13 pm »
Sweet! Good lookin bow, even though it's made out of that yellow wood.  :laugh: :laugh:, just kiddin.  ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20:01 pm »
Its ok I guess..for an inferior piece of wood >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:35:08 pm »
Nice looking yellow stick you have there.

How did the poplar bow do at the Clout shoot?  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:56 pm »
Nice bow but why being that long did it take 1and1/2" set?Especially at 40 pounds.I've seen some of your whitewood bows look much better.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 03:41:50 pm »
Beadman, I figured I'd make one I could use for target shooting. It's long but the long handle means less moving mass with shorter limbs. I'm not sure why it took that much set. I think it was either the humidity or it's too narrow for its density.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 04:11:49 pm »
Nice bow Ryan.  Those character bows are just too cool. Nice to see you post some osage, lol.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 04:48:30 pm »
cool bow tiller looks excellent
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:21:29 pm »
I remember that hunk of wood!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:52:06 pm »
Ryan, I have to commend you for your courage to post such an overbuilt osage bow after all that beating down you did.   ;)  In all seriousness, it looks like you tackled a challenging stave and came out with a shooter.  Gotta love osage.     ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »
Thanks guys!  ;D

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 08:00:39 pm »
Now I know why you don't like osage. If my osage bows came out like that I would be disappointed and try and blame the wood two.  >:D >:D  At least there is hope for you sister anyway!

Really though, I like it.  I enjoy seeing all your bows. I like the "flow lines" they have.  Looking forward to seeing the next mojam bow in July.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 12:21:17 am »
Cool bow.  I'm amazed at anyone who can make a bow from a snaky stave....   You did a good job with that. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?