Author Topic: Big awkward overzealous hello  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Lars Groteballen

Big awkward overzealous hello
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:39:35 am »
Greetings to all.  The prodigal has returned.  Did you miss me?  Well, probably not, because I posted under a different name maybe 4 years ago and I can't remember who I was.  Told you this was going to be awkward.

So I started a black locust flatbow 4 years ago and ran out of patience.  Watched Northwest Passage and my inner frontiersman was suddenly reawakened.  Went down to the lower barn and dug out the floor tillered bow and the wood is still like iron.  Awesome! 

I have never completed a bow that shoots so I'm going slow on this one. 

Question: I'm close to 6'5" and when I measure from the palm of my hand to my other hand's fingers drawn backhanded to my cheek, It's about 30.5"  and from the hypothetical back that's close to 33" of draw length. 

Am I measuring properly?  And if so, should I just stay with golf? 

Having said that, I wanted to let you good people know that I made a resolution to look more inward and ignore the turmoil of politics for the next several years (or four) and working the drawknife and coming back to this site has been the absolute answer.  You guys are really doing the Lord's work, (be He Lord of All, Lord of the Rings, lord's a leapin' etc. etc.)

A sincere thank you and I'll post pic of the bow if I get up the nerve.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Big awkward overzealous hello
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:59:47 am »
I find it measuring draw length that way very inaccurate.  I am a little over 6 ft tall.  Long arms.  My draw length is 27 inches (1 inch shorter than on compounds).  Take a bow, put it in your hands, draw an arrow to a comfortable anchor point and measure the length of the arrow to the back of the bow.  Doubt you will be 33 inches.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:02:48 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:34:33 pm »
One suggestion I like is to nock an over-long arrow shaft on your bow and clip a cloths pin onto the shaft .  Draw the shaft to a comfortable anchor point and then let down.   You can now measure your draw length from nock to cloths pin.   Be sure to add a little length for mounting a point and your set to make or buy arrows.
Note this is a very practical method for fitting an arrow to you and your bow, but it bares only minor resemblence to the formal AMO definition of draw length.
See the recent thread   "can i ask a dumb question?"
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Lars Groteballen

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:54 pm »
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate it.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »
Hello Lars nice to meet you! Hope to see pics of the bow soon
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:22:43 pm »
Welcome back whoever you are!!
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Lars Groteballen

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »
Bow just exploded while stringing. 

Big surprise!  Looked a little punky on the inside.  Also, my tillering skill is lacking. 

Square one.   

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »
Sorry to hear but it happens.    It's been said more than once  "if you ain't breaking 'em, you ain't making 'em.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers