Author Topic: Blackpowder Hunters  (Read 15735 times)

Offline nlester

Blackpowder Hunters
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »
I was wondering how many of you are blackpowder hunters.  I've became really interested in it recently.  Its very intriguing and has many similarities to primitive archer in my opinion.  For those of you that do blackpowder hunt.  I'm wanting advice on a good starter rifle.  I really think I'd prefer to try my hand with a flintlock rather than a caplock.  Any good advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Blackpowder Hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »
Awesome question.  I'm in the same boat.  Most rifles are a bit pricey for me but I'm thinking about buying a pistol and joining the muzzleloading addiction...uh, hobby. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:57:06 pm »
I hunt with BP and have several shotguns, inline and side x side, caplock and flintlock rifles, single shot and revolver pistols. Just my opinion but starting out I'd suggest a caplock. They are more forgiving in wet, nasty weather.
 For a first time gun, and reasonnably priced it's hard to beat some of the side cap Traditions rifles.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:55:59 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:38:08 pm »
i've got an old juker that someone half assed assemblled and got in trade for a couple hours work, guy never shot it, i took it apart and put it together right , a cheap gun but it shoots real good, but some guys are more into names than i am, i'm to poor to be picky >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:39:01 pm »
Where and what are you hunting?

having hunted with flintlocks for over 30 years, I'd have to agree there is a difference between brands and styles, but if you're just wanting to give it a try then I dont think you'll see the difference. Buy the one that looks, feels, & costs nice to you. Then trade/upgrade if you decide you like it.  With the right loads they all shoot straight.
You'll hear a lot of hype about the .50 caliber.  IMO thats mostly from the inline crowd shooting sabots with pyrodex.  Yes .50 is excellent and maybe ballistically better, but if you want to shoot eastern whitetails with black powder and a round ball, I like my .45 better than the .50, and for the bigger critters I use the .54.   You cant go wrong with any of the 3 though, so I suggest you buy the caliber your buddy shoots. (same for the brand for that matter.)

Regarding Mullet's comment that caplocks are more reliable in the rain - the caribou, bear, deer, moose, & elk that I've shot while it was raining would disagree :)    But yes, caplocks are better in the rain, especially for a noob.  Think about why you want one and how you will hunt - if you are going full out and will hunt with it for a season regardless of the weather, then I'd probably agree you should start with a percussion.  If you want the primitiveness and plan to hunt a few nice winter days, flintlocks are hard to beat.

hth.
I should know better.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »
I was wondering how many of you are blackpowder hunters.  I've became really interested in it recently.  Its very intriguing and has many similarities to primitive archer in my opinion.  For those of you that do blackpowder hunt.  I'm wanting advice on a good starter rifle.  I really think I'd prefer to try my hand with a flintlock rather than a caplock.  Any good advice would be greatly appreciated!

You need to head over to Friendship, IN. If you want to see and shoot some smoke poles.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Brock

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:33:59 pm »
I love blackpowder but have not done it in a few years...sold my TC Hawken in .54cal as I wanted something with less flash on it and more of an eastern rifle.  I set my sights on a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 but never bought one but think I will this year.....at least until I can afford a high dollar kit or to get one from one of the craftsman doing poor boy rifles from Appalachia and eastern seaboard.

good luck.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:42:02 am »
I really like My .45 cal. Kentucky Rifle - real tack driver with patch & ball.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline nlester

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:03:28 am »
Thanks for all the info.  It gives me some things to think about.  I'm not going to hit it too hard.  Bow hunting is still the #1 priority.  However, I think it would be fun to hunt with a flintlock and see what happens.  Not ruling out a caplock though.  Probably will go with something when price range.  Thanks again to everyone

Offline agd68

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:05:16 am »
They are a hoot. But like others have said you have to decide what your motives are. If you want the old time experience go with a side lock, if you simply want a different way to hunt I would recommend an inline..OUCH!! Who threw that ROCK..lol. Seriously, I had a Traditions .50 cal Hawkins percussion cap and loved it. However these eyes dont pick up the iron sights as well anymore so I've had to scope my rifles. If inline is your thing the Traditions Buckstalker package from Cabelas is a nice starter gun.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline robby

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:54 am »
nlester, Like any other pursuit, you can go for a penny or a pound, relatively speaking ;). Like Archery, I hunt with what I make. Its very much like Archery, but you can reach out a bit further. Your instincts are correct, go with the flint lock. you wont be disappointed. Here is a link to a site that includes Entry level to life time enthusiasts. Don't be afraid to ask questions, like here, there are many experienced people that are eager to unselfishly share their knowledge. Enjoy the journey!
http://www.muzzleloadingforumcom/fusionbb/fusionbb.php
Robby

I had to disable this site because of the Classifieds. Only trading allowed here unless you are a sponsor.
Rule# 6
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:06:02 pm by mullet »

Offline nlester

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »
Robby,
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to check that site out.  Thanks again

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »
I started shooting BP in the 70s because that was the only way you could get a doe tag at the time.

I bought at least 5 TC Rifles starting with percussion and the last being flint. A good friend who was dieing from cancer gave me his custom flint longrifle, one shot and all my TC stuff was up for sale.

Bottom line, a fine flintlock is hard to beat, a run of the mill one will drive you crazy with hang fires and other problems. If you want a really great flintlock you have to get off your wallet as they have a $1200+ price tag.

If you decide to build your own there are three ways to go; a Lyman, TC, Cabala's or other assembly kit that you assemble and apply the finish with very little wood or metal work, a Track of the Wolf,  Chambers or a host of other parts kits that require a bunch of wood or metal work, finish inletting  and final wood and metal finishing, and lastly building from a block of wood and a pile of parts, lots of knowledge involved.

I decided building my own flintlock was a compliment to my bow building so I took the block of wood and a pile of parts route, never regretted my choice.

Just starting out I would get a Lyman plains rifle in flint to see if you like it.

Gotta' love those flintlocks, I have no interest in percussion now. the one in th picture goes off like a percussion gun and will shoot a tight cloverleaf at 50 yards. It is the one that my friend gave me.

This is the one I built, 54 cal and a mighty fine shooter.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:49:05 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 04:27:37 pm »
Bottom line, a fine flintlock is hard to beat, a run of the mill one will drive you crazy with hang fires and other problems. If you want a really great flintlock you have to get off your wallet as they have a $1200+ price tag.
That gun in your pics is a beauty - dont ever put it up on the trading post, just call me directly! :)

I have to disagree with you on run-of-the-mill guns though. I've fired dozens of them, I find that most firing problems are operator error (like too much powder in the pan, dull flint, clogged touchhole...) or a misaligned touchhole or a too-hard frizzen. All are/were easily remedied.

I too am a fan of Lyman plains rifle, I consider it to be an ideal entry level flintlock; thats good advice you gave. Their kits are outstanding too.
I should know better.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:31 pm »
I have an flint English fowler 12ga almost finished and have been accumulating parts for a 40cal squirrel rifle.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:27:39 pm by Eric Krewson »