Author Topic: Opinions on Bow Wood  (Read 12811 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Opinions on Bow Wood
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »
ERC(juniper) is an excellent bow wood. I have a stave I'm saving for a special occasion. Western red cedar is good for arras, but as a bow wood, if it is at all possible would have to come from an old growth branch and REQUIRE sinew.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bow101

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 07:31:33 pm »
I'm not sure I'm remembering the right thread, but didn't you ask about Western red cedar? The bows you see built are Eastern red cedar. Eastern red cedar is a juniper and a much different wood than Western red cedar
         This is a thread I posted awhile back about cedar bows, I have seen others built from REd Cedar............ http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35837.0.html
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:13 pm »
With what I've worked with in order best to worse...osage, hophornbeam, hickory, dogwood, hackberry. I've also heard very good comments on winged elm.

The first time I cut hophorn beam, I thought it was elm, partly because I had never worked elm either, and didn't know how to identify either very well. After working it, I was like "Man, this is some good elm!",  ;D ;D ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 08:10:59 pm »
10. SERVICEBERRY!!!  hell yeah!!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:02 pm »
I read on a websearch that you could use any hardwood for making bows.
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Brock

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 10:38:49 pm »
not completed my first bow yet (hickory) but have shot a few different bows of various woods....so far, all things being equal as far as craftsmanhip, design for wood type to get most out of it, etc....I like:

- hickory...all around tough wood and if built correctly and sealed against moisture is almost bullet proof
- osage...love the tiny tips that are possible and all around great bow material...but harder to work and easier to make a fatal mistake than hickory I believe
- vine maple...john strunk made one for me out of a piece that was sent to me by a person from Oregon back in 2001....it is a very durable wood and has good cast.  he told me it was one of his favorite all around woods for a hunting bow and I see why.  Not sure how it is to work though as it can be very snaky I am told.

once I get a few under my belt I would like to try juniper/cedar, elm, pecan and red oak....

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 02:42:54 am »
Vine maple
Ipe
osage
hickory
cascara
hazlenut
pacific dogwood
yew
rock maple
ash
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 03:50:23 am »
Brian I would have never guessed to see yew and p.dogwood so far down your list!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 04:54:51 am »
send over a couple thousand osage fruits and i will!
i second that........ they will be all over rhode island if i have any say in it ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline chamookman

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49:53 am »
I stayed out of the other thread, but I'll jump in on this one. First Osage, then Osage - Osage - Osage and finnaly Osage. Nuff said  ;) O:). Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 07:11:44 am »
My list includes ten of the woods I've made bows from. Haven't used yew so no opinion on it and I'm trying to finish my first from buckthorn and it would rate pretty high on the list I think, let you know when I'm done with that one.
1) Osage
2} Black Locust
3) White oak
4) Elm
5) Hickory
6) Hackberry
7) Black Walnut
8) Mulberry
9) Ash
10) American Hornbeam
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:06:17 am »
Most of the bows i have made have been osage mostly because its easy to get in my area. Most people consider it to be invasive trash. But if each of you will send me a stave of each wood on your list i will get back to you in about 10 years. >:D

I should say though that my favorite bow i ever made was from flowering dogwood.
Steve Bennett

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »
Bryce,

I rated the woods in order of preference then durability. Yew is a great wood...but not durable in all regions.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.