Author Topic: Bendy handled osage  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
Bendy handled osage
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:35:48 am »
I have been working on this one for a while, it originally started it's life as a 68" Osage flatbow. I didn't like how it was turning out so I let it sit in the corner for a while, I picked it up and started cutting...

I cut it down to 60", and then to 58"... It is 1 inch wide at the handle and tapers to 1/2 inch wide at the tips. It tapers from 3/4 inch at the handle to about 7/16 at the tips. Right now it is pulling #50 @28"

This was my first experience with flipping tips and making my own string.
>>>---------->

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bendy handled osage
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:20:27 am »
Looks good and reminds me of my first static. Started and finished the same way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:03 am »
Looks really good to me.  Nice job! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:41:05 am »
Good job on that one! I hope to start my Osage bow soon. My first attempt at flipping tips ended suddenly (hickory).  I'm contemplating a bendy handle. Nice bow there! What did you wrap the tips and handle with?
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:46:22 am »
Thanks

The handle is twisted jute and the tips are wrapped with black sinew. I don't think I am going to put a finish on it though...
>>>---------->

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »
Very nice, good looking bendy. Thanks for sharing. Graylan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 05:03:50 pm »
Only one fault....I didn't make it!  But then I am known to covet perfect bows. 

Good work, Ducky.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:06:49 pm »
Very nice lines on that bow and a great bend. You got a nice one there!
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »
perfect tiller
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 06:27:38 pm »
Nice curves on that one, it turned out well!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »
Nice looking bow, perfect tiller!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 07:49:15 pm »
One sweet looking bow

Offline Numunuu

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:41:30 pm »
I am building a bow just like that one. 1 in wide in the handle but tapering to 3/8 at the tips. This is my first bendy handle and I am loving it. If possible could you take a pic of what setup you used to bend the tips. I have never done this before but am planning to on the current build. Any tips you have would be great, I am pretty nervous about bending them. Thanks.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »
Nice one!

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
I am building a bow just like that one. 1 in wide in the handle but tapering to 3/8 at the tips. This is my first bendy handle and I am loving it. If possible could you take a pic of what setup you used to bend the tips. I have never done this before but am planning to on the current build. Any tips you have would be great, I am pretty nervous about bending them. Thanks.

Well this is my "ghetto" bending set up... I also used an aluminum strip in between the belly and the clamps to help keep splinters from popping up

This was my first time flipping tips so take my advise lightly, but I did learn a couple things. Go SLOW when you are bending - heat it up really good and bend a little, more heat, then more bend and so on. I left them clamped until they were cool to the touch and that seemed to work out fine.

I think I went a little extreme on my tips, next time I won't bend them as much. I did end up with a couple of cracks but I filled them with CA glue and that's part of the reason for the wrapping of the tips.
>>>---------->