Author Topic: 70 thousand year old arrowheads found in Africa.  (Read 6062 times)

Offline kiwijim

Offline Scowler

Re: 70 thousand year old arrowheads found in Africa.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:28:58 am »
I may be mistaken but I think this particular article was discussed a little while back.  Although the title of this article is "Oldest evidence of arrows found" there is no evidence that these points were, in fact, arrowheads.  They could just as easily be points for light throwing spears or even atlatl darts.  The article states that these points were "probably arrowheads" and were "tips of projectiles".  Unless stone/bone/wood(?) points are found attached, or near to, arrow shaft(s) or are found in conjunction with ancient art (petroglyphs, etc...) depicting bow and arrow use or even with the conclusivly proven remains of a bow it will be hard to prove any projectile point was in fact an arrowhead.   

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 10:13:56 am »
Any kind of points that old are still way cool!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 10:56:09 am »
I wish they'd discuss where they get 70,000 from. Do they just pull these numbers out of a hat? Why not 60,000, 50,000, 3,000?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 11:18:44 am »
I wish they'd discuss where they get 70,000 from. Do they just pull these numbers out of a hat? Why not 60,000, 50,000, 3,000?
They have methods of dating organic matter such as the blood or tissue on the arrow heads. They aren't looking at a piece of rock millions of years old and then telling when it was actually made into the arrowhead.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:53:10 am »
I find it hard to believe that blood and tissue would be still around on rocks after a few thousand years, let alone 70,000ys.

Also they dont look much like arrowheads to me, just rocks. If those guys where bright enough to make the bow the arrow and the string, I'm sure they could make better points than that.  I take these archeologist types with a pinch a salt, my self
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 12:46:13 pm »
It might not be apparent to the naked eye but tissue and blood stick around for a long time if they are dried and stable.
 The early models of anything are going to look pretty crude relative to the more developed editions.
 The absolute best stone arrowheads from Eurasia never seemed to develop to the same levels of skill shown in NA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
The dating method used is rather crude and inaccurate.
You can carbon date the stone(also crude) but that's all.
If there was organic tissue on the stone it would've needed a preservative covering it aiding in its preservation.

If they are in fact 65,000 years old I highly doubt the organic tissue would still be evident.
They don't look like points to me either.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »
I find anything like this very interesting. I'd like to know that bows and arrows went back farther than 12K to 15K year ago. I'm open to all possibilities.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 02:57:10 pm »
Color me skeptical.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »
You guys need to do some more science reading. There is a lot more technology available when it comes to identifying and dating organic tissue.
 While it's nice to imagine everything turning back to "dust" or the basic compounds, it's not quite that simple.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »
Color me skeptical.

Im right there with you friend.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 04:01:28 pm »
everything returns to dust sooner or later.....its that simple....even for scientists!!       >:D
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 06:48:32 pm »
Are these projectile points arrowheads? Maybe.
Are they 60-70 thousand years old? Absolutely.
Thats the good thing about Science; you don't need to believe it in it for it to be right.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »
Are these projectile points arrowheads? Maybe.
Are they 60-70 thousand years old? Absolutely.
Thats the good thing about Science; you don't need to believe it in it for it to be right.

:P

-JW_Halverson