Author Topic: Sleeve style take down (finished pg 4)  (Read 12807 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Sleeve style take down
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 06:01:25 pm »
my next project will likely be a sleeve take down with a nice pair of yew billets I have sitting around. I'm watching this with interest. Looks good so far PD.
Where'd you get you sleeves from? any recommendations?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »
Weylin I made a swap on here for the set. 3 Rivers sells them I know.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »
I'm glad you're doing this pearl! A buddy of mine gave me a sleeve set just like yours just the other day. I got a lot of irons in the fire bow wise but a take down is next on my list. Yours is lookin mighty fine there feller!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 07:52:50 pm »
If your like all guitfiddle players you have ape hands right? I bet that size large sleeve set will fit your grippers pretty decent Will (singer/song writer) Harrison.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »
Looks good PD!
I started one a while back but haven't worked on it for probably 3 months. Messed it up a bit with the sleeve fit as I didn't leave extra wood around the sides and belly next to the sleeve. It's good and solid but the limbs at the riser top are narrower than the bottom by the difference of sleeve dimensions. Hoping it won't cause me tiller problems.
My thinking was the wood wasn't as dry as it needed to be so I hung it on the wall to cure. It should now be ready to work some.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 12:15:37 am »
Looking very nice, Pearly! I have the billets, just need the time and money for the rest. HaHa. (Damn day job)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 09:39:37 am »
Looks good PD!
I started one a while back but haven't worked on it for probably 3 months. Messed it up a bit with the sleeve fit as I didn't leave extra wood around the sides and belly next to the sleeve. It's good and solid but the limbs at the riser top are narrower than the bottom by the difference of sleeve dimensions. Hoping it won't cause me tiller problems.
My thinking was the wood wasn't as dry as it needed to be so I hung it on the wall to cure. It should now be ready to work some.

Fred I suggest aligning the limb and sleeve to your tastes. Then tape off the bottom as I did and fill it up with epoxy. It will fill any any gaps you have and hold the billet solid as a rock. I tapped my sleeve very lightly with a hammer and I could see bubbles forming so I knew my epoxy was flowing down in the slim spots the wood didnt fill up. Im sure it would work for you as well.

Stringman

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 11:58:19 am »
You definitely hit a cord with this build! I'm already thinkin about a set of sleeves myself. Now I gotta go find some billets. Shouldn't be hard to do, I usually set the short stuff aside anyway. Keep pluggin man, we want to see her finished!

Scott

Offline adb

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:56 pm »
Hey... when you get this done, can you ship it to my house?? I'll need to test fire it!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 06:50:32 pm »
It needs sanding and sealing, but here it is. I finished it 50 @ 27. The bow can be drawn to 29" no problems. Its 64" ntn and a solid 1 5/8" wide. It was fun and something to do on Thanksgiving break besides eat, and its a nice conversation piece if anything. I will toss up some full draw pics when Im done sealing and gripping it.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »
Looks great PD.
I'm amazed at how fast you can work wood into a truly fine weapon. Can't wait to see that baby bend.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »
Looks great Pearly.  She has a nice braced profile.  I bet the FD is even sweeter.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 07:43:21 pm »
Looks great!!!

If my VM two piece I'm working on turns out half as nice I'll be happy  ;D
>>>---------->

blackhawk

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 09:18:59 pm »
  ..."a nice conversation piece if anything"....huh ???   Please explain  8)

Offline Will H

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 09:25:32 pm »
Nicely done!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"