Author Topic: Sleeve style take down (finished pg 4)  (Read 12806 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Sleeve style take down
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 10:05:55 am »
Very cool!  Can't wait to see it finished.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 10:20:45 am »
For the record this is a large sleeve set. Its big and quite heavy. I am 6' 2" 210# with very large mits and it JUST fits me enought to be comfy. I suggest the small sleeve for nearly everybody that may want to try one. The mating of the two was easier than I have read as well. If I spent an hour total  fitting them I would be suprised. Thanks guys

This is the bit that puts me off trying. Any tips PD? as you seem to have nailed it first time.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:51:55 am »
Looks really cool.  Can't wait to see it finished.  Always thought it would be fun to try one.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:59 am »
For the record this is a large sleeve set. Its big and quite heavy. I am 6' 2" 210# with very large mits and it JUST fits me enought to be comfy. I suggest the small sleeve for nearly everybody that may want to try one. The mating of the two was easier than I have read as well. If I spent an hour total  fitting them I would be suprised. Thanks guys

This is the bit that puts me off trying. Any tips PD? as you seem to have nailed it first time.

Start with the flattest back you can find. Get the 2" your inserting squared up perfectly to that flat back. That ensures the sleeve and bow are on the same plane and not twisted. After its squared up stand the sleeve on the end and line it up perfectly with your eyes by looking down on it directly overtop. Trace around it and rasp your way to a good fit. A 1" x 18" sanding belt helped me keep the shape and do the the dirty work nice. My Shinto worked its magic (as usual) on the rest. Just keep thinking about what will be afffected later from what your doing now. Keep in mind this is my first try and only my opinion on how to do it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »
Pearl
  Glad to see this. I am working on one myself. This will help out for sure. Thanks for sharing. Dean

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 01:32:12 pm »
I got this far and have to wait a bit. My epoxy still needs to set up harder. I havent flexed it, but I can smell it. It seems when epoxy smells, its not hard. So Im messing with my tip overlays in the meanwhile. They are from a shed my son found last spring. Being as beefy as it is, I chose to cut a very narrow shelf in. I will add leather later on to further push it out. You can really see the "sister" in these billets now.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:36:10 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »
Sweet set up! Definitely on my list of thing to try. Nice and clean work as always!

Offline Adam

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »
Man Pearl, I love seeing your work.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 03:16:01 pm »
Come one ya big lumberjack, get that thing a bendin'  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 04:38:17 pm »
Here are a few pics of the antler overlays. These are the sheds my son found last spring when we where out shooting leaves. The beefier tip is the lower. I figured since its always stuffed in the ground, stuffed into my boot toe or stuffed in a tree stand grate I may as well make it stronger, so I did.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 04:43:47 pm »
She sure is lookin sweet!! I can't wait to see her all finished up! :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »
Come on..where are those full draw pics  >:(  :P

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 05:40:32 pm »
Saw your first post late last night, went to make a sandwich and now your almost done with it? Give me some of whatever your on man. :D
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »
Saw your first post late last night, went to make a sandwich and now your almost done with it? Give me some of whatever your on man. :D
Greg

Its called mountain dew..lol  :laugh:

Offline Bowman

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »
Very nice. I think I must build a bow like this. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."